The Year’s Biggest Meteor Shower Is Happening This Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Perseids, the year’s biggest and arguably most popular meteor shower, is taking place starting tonight and extends through August 13. However, peak visibility is expected between August 12 and 13, according to Time Magazine, particularly between the hours of 3am and 5am.
At the time of the showers, there will be a near new moon according to Bill Cooke, a NASA meteor expert, making it among the best of 2018. The Perseids are also equipped with fireballs, which should make the show particularly vivid.
This annual meteor shower will unfold once Comet Swift-Tuttle, the largest object known to repeatedly pass by Earth, leaves behind a trail of dust and debris, according to Space.com. When this debris (formally known as meteoroids when they are in space) hits Earth’s atmosphere, they turn into meteors.
They appear as bright streaks of light, which are best seen in dark areas. You will see an average of 60 to 70 meteors per hour, but during outbursts, up to 200 can shoot through the sky.
If you’re looking to watch the meteor shower, it’s best to give your eyes at least 30 minutes to adjust to the dark. According to Cooke, lying on your back and “[taking] in as much sky as possible” are essentials for the best experience.
The best views of the meteor shower will be in the Northern Hemisphere, but those in the mid-Southern hemisphere may see a shooting star if they are facing the northeast horizon, according to Time. If you aren’t in a prime area, the meteor shower is the perfect excuse to escape to the countryside for a long weekend to watch the sky light up with shooting stars.
But if traveling is not an option, don’t fret. While it may not come with the reputation as the year’s biggest meteor shower, the Orinoid Meteor Shower will take place Oct. 2 to Nov. 7, with its peak expected between Oct. 21 and 22.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees