How to See the Biggest Supermoon of the Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Missed the Super Blood Wolf Moon last month? You’re in luck — another super moon is headed your way on Tuesday, Feb. 19.
Dubbed the Super Snow Moon (or sometimes the Storm Moon or the Hunger Moon), this one won’t be red like last month’s supermoon, but it will be just as big and perhaps even brighter. In fact, it’ll be the biggest supermoon of the year, according to EarthSky.
Supermoons occur when the moon is at its closest point to Earth in its orbit (perigee) and because this is a full moon, it will seem even bigger and brighter than usual. On Tuesday, the moon will be 17,000 miles closer than average to Earth. According to USA Today, it will appear 14% bigger and 30% brighter than a full moon at its farthest point from Earth (known as its apogee).
As you might guess, the best places to see the Super Snow Moon are those with little to no light pollution. And the best time to see it is around dawn or dusk, when it’s closest to the horizon. Though the moon will be at its fullest on Tuesday, around 10:53am EST and 7:53am PST, it’s worth looking up at the sky on Sunday and Monday nights, too, when the moon will still appear extra big and bright and there won’t be any pesky daylight to interfere with your moongazing.
And if you happen to be on a plane those nights, try to snag a window seat to catch a glimpse of the Super Snow Moon.
High tides and low tides will also be more extreme with the moon at its perigree. “Perigean high tides during full moon and new moon can cause major problems on some coasts, especially if weather adds high waves or a storm surge (due to low atmospheric pressure over the involved area),” according to NASA.
If you miss this supermoon, there will be another one on March 21, though it won’t be quite as impressive.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees