How This 9-Year-Old Scored a Business Class Upgrade
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve all hoped to snag that biz-class upgrade before a flight only to come up a day late and a dollar short. Jasper Francis, a nine-year-old from Australia, wanted that upgrade before an upcoming flight, but he approached it a little differently — he wrote a note to Jetstar Airways saying he was saving up for an upgrade and wanted to know how much more he needed to save.
In his note, Jasper said: “My name is Jasper Francis and I am 9 years old and live an hour outside of Melbourne. I was just wondering whether kids are allowed to fly business class by themselves? I am saving my pocket money to get an upgrade on our flight: MEL-BKK on your Boeing 787 Dreamliner,” he wrote, adding that he’d saved $85 so far and wanted to know how much more he needed to save for the upgrade.
“Jasper’s always wanted to travel business class, and every time we go to an airport he’ll go up to the reservation desk and ask them if he can be upgraded to business class,” Jasper’s mom, Anna Francis, told Today Australia.
Included on the letter was a picture of a Jetstar aircraft taking off. Jetstar employees were so moved by the letter that 20 of them pooled together $50 Jetstar gift cards they’d received for Christmas to help Francis reach his goal of purchasing a business class seat, news.com.au reported.
Children are not allowed to fly in business class alone, but thanks to Jetstar’s employees act of kindness, Jasper and his father were both able to upgrade into biz class. Additionally, Jasper and his family were able to get a personal tour of one of Jetstar’s 787 Dreamliner.
Jasper said that one day he hopes to be a pilot himself: “I just feel like I’m on top of everything, looking at the beautiful views down below,” he told Today.
Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees