How Some West Coast-Bound Flyers Celebrated The New Year Twice
Flights crossing the Pacific Ocean are especially influenced by time zones, thanks to the International Dateline, which can greatly increase or decrease the effects of jet lag on long-haul Trans-Pacific flights. The International Date Line also means that a few West Coast-bound flights from Asia actually take off a day later than they land. While this is a unique phenomenon in and of itself, flights departing on January 1st experience something especially unique.
Travelers on three flights bound for the US West Coast and Hawaii from Eastern Asia got to ring in 2019 twice thanks to these unique flight schedules. Travelers on flights on Cathay Pacific, All Nippon Airways and United took off on January 1st, 2019 and landed in 2018. These flights are possible thanks to the International Date Line, the invisible line that sits in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and determines which day it is. These three flights were able to travel back in time thanks to a very early departure time and close proximity to the International Dateline.
- All Nippon Airways flight NH106 departed Tokyo Haneda (HND) at 12:02am and arrived in LAX at 4:15pm on December 31
- Cathay Pacific flight CX880 Departed Hong Kong (HKG) at 12:18am and arrived in LAX at 8:16pm
- United Airlines flight UA200 Departed Guam (GUM) at 7:41am and arrived in Honolulu (HNL) at 6:39pm
While many passengers who booked these US-bound flights likely didn’t consider the fact they would be taking off in 2019 and landing in 2018, some flyers have intentionally booked charter flights between Sydney (SYD) and Honolulu (HNL) just to travel back in time.
Though most New Years Eve travelers didn’t get the chance to travel back in time, there’s a much greater chance they got to see the New Year’s celebration from above. Las Vegas-McCarran Airport’s (LAS) official Twitter feed posted this amazing video of a Boeing 737 taking off from the airport as the clock struck midnight and fireworks filled the desert sky.
Happy New Year from The Entire TPG Crew!
(Featured image by Anadolu Agency/Contributor/Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees