How LAX Stops People From Peeking Into Your Stall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is taking a cue from aircraft design by installing something to help travelers avoid an awkward encounter.
Just like aircraft have lights to tell you when someone is in the bathroom, LAX has installed “Tooshlight” technology to alert people when an airport bathroom stall is in use.
The technology works like so: When a bathroom stall is open, a light above the toilet will be green. When someone is inside the stall, sensor technology will find that someone is there and turn the light red.
“We’ve all been there. You’re in the restroom and someone shakes the door, peeks through the crack, or looks under the stall partition to see your feet,” Allen Klevens, CEO and founder of Tooshlights told USA Today. “Bathroom lines get long because people don’t know which stalls are available.”
And it’s more than just a system to avoid the surprise when someone shakes your stall’s door — but it will also help janitors do their jobs more efficiently. In conjunction with Infax, Tooshilghts will convey real-time bathroom information to cleaners — after a stall has been used enough times to meet the cleaning threshold, janitors will be notified that the bathroom needs attention.
The Tooshlight system was unveiled last week in Terminal 4, home to American Airlines and Qantas. It’s currently in a pilot program, but might be expanded if successful. You can find them at one men’s and one women’s restroom just past security. Klevens says that “at least fives other airports are lined up and ready” to install a Tooshlights system.
Featured image courtesy of Tooshlights.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees