This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is taking a cue from aircraft design by installing something to help travelers avoid an awkward encounter.
Just like aircraft have lights to tell you when someone is in the bathroom, LAX has installed “Tooshlight” technology to alert people when an airport bathroom stall is in use.
The technology works like so: When a bathroom stall is open, a light above the toilet will be green. When someone is inside the stall, sensor technology will find that someone is there and turn the light red.
“We’ve all been there. You’re in the restroom and someone shakes the door, peeks through the crack, or looks under the stall partition to see your feet,” Allen Klevens, CEO and founder of Tooshlights told USA Today. “Bathroom lines get long because people don’t know which stalls are available.”
And it’s more than just a system to avoid the surprise when someone shakes your stall’s door — but it will also help janitors do their jobs more efficiently. In conjunction with Infax, Tooshilghts will convey real-time bathroom information to cleaners — after a stall has been used enough times to meet the cleaning threshold, janitors will be notified that the bathroom needs attention.
The Tooshlight system was unveiled last week in Terminal 4, home to American Airlines and Qantas. It’s currently in a pilot program, but might be expanded if successful. You can find them at one men’s and one women’s restroom just past security. Klevens says that “at least fives other airports are lined up and ready” to install a Tooshlights system.
Featured image courtesy of Tooshlights.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees