This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Airbus A220 program has seen a huge boost from its early days as the Bombardier CSeries. Airbus is starting 2019 with more than 500 orders. Wednesday, the company broke ground on a brand-new facility in Alabama that’ll help it meet that demand.
Located just a few feet from the Airbus A320 / A321 final assembly line in Mobile, by the middle of the next decade the new A220 facility will be able to produce four A220s per month in Alabama. That’s in addition to the aircraft already coming through the existing facility in Mirabel, Quebec, not far from Montreal. Airbus bought the C-Series program from Bombardier in 2017, and renamed it following its own naming convention last summer.
Just ahead of the groundbreaking, Airbus CEO Tom Enders explained the decision to expand A220 final assembly operations to Alabama:
“When we did the deal with our Canadian friends, it was obvious that we should really produce this aircraft also in the United States — in times of protectionism and nationalism and tariffs and so on, but also because the single largest market for this wonderful 220 is North America.”
Regardless of the current political climate, there’s no question that an expansion is required to meet demand.
So far, Delta has ordered a total of 90 planes, including 40 of the smaller A220-100s and 50 A220-300s. JetBlue’s placed a huge order as well, for a total of 60 A220-300s, replacing the carrier’s Embraer fleet, while newcomer Moxy is planning to take on 60 of the larger -300 jets.
While Delta’s own rollout of service on the A220 may encounter some unfortunate delays following the ongoing federal government shutdown, the addition of a Mobile final assembly line should make it possible for carriers to add A220 flights more quickly, expanding on the list of routes DL has already announced, and JetBlue’s planned transcons.
The aircraft is also on its way to receiving ETOPS-180 approval from all required agencies, paving the way for flights across the Atlantic, and from the US mainland to Hawaii.
The A220 may be a single-aisle aircraft, but with economy seats that measure a minimum of 18.5 inches, larger windows and wider aisles, it’ll offer a far more comfortable ride than many wide-body jets.
With a range of more than 3,600 miles and a capacity of up to 160 passengers on the larger A220-300, the aircraft will enable airlines to test the waters with new routes, thanks to much improved operational economics — compared to some older planes of similar size, the A220 offers a more than 20% savings on fuel burn per seat.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees