‘Novelty Grenade’ Causes Bomb Scare at Houston Hobby Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A security checkpoint at Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) shut down for a period on Thursday when a suspicious item was found in a passenger’s bag. The item was later determined to be a toy grenade.
According to a Houston Airport System spokesperson, a Transportation Security Administration agent spotted a suspicious item in a passenger’s bag around 4:35am local time. When the item was discovered, airport officials forced hundreds of passengers waiting in the line to move away from the immediate area.
“My wife and I were waiting to drop our bags into the X-ray machine and go through the detector, and I heard a TSA agent scream ‘Shut it down, shut it down, shut it down!'” said John L. Moore, a passenger who is also an AP journalist. “Everyone was looking around, confused, and people were ordered to ‘Clear out now!'”
A bomb squad was brought in and determined that the suspicious item was a “novelty grenade.” According to KTRK, Houston police confirmed that the toy belonged to a 17-year-old Boy Scout. The traveler was not taken into custody.
The airport spokesperson said that Southwest is adjusting some flights to accommodate travelers who were delayed in getting to their gate because of the scare. The airport is also recommending that if you’re flying through HOU on Thursday to contact your airline to make sure your flight hasn’t been affected.
Thursday’s incident at HOU comes just one day after a similar bomb scare at Houston’s other airport, George Bush Intercontinental (IAH). On Wednesday, police detained “an impatient passenger” who commented about explosives in a bag at the airport. The spokesperson for the airport said that the passenger’s “inappropriate comment” forced the international terminal at IAH to close for nearly an hour as a bomb squad was brought in.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.