‘Novelty Grenade’ Causes Bomb Scare at Houston Hobby Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A security checkpoint at Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) shut down for a period on Thursday when a suspicious item was found in a passenger’s bag. The item was later determined to be a toy grenade.
According to a Houston Airport System spokesperson, a Transportation Security Administration agent spotted a suspicious item in a passenger’s bag around 4:35am local time. When the item was discovered, airport officials forced hundreds of passengers waiting in the line to move away from the immediate area.
“My wife and I were waiting to drop our bags into the X-ray machine and go through the detector, and I heard a TSA agent scream ‘Shut it down, shut it down, shut it down!'” said John L. Moore, a passenger who is also an AP journalist. “Everyone was looking around, confused, and people were ordered to ‘Clear out now!'”
A bomb squad was brought in and determined that the suspicious item was a “novelty grenade.” According to KTRK, Houston police confirmed that the toy belonged to a 17-year-old Boy Scout. The traveler was not taken into custody.
The airport spokesperson said that Southwest is adjusting some flights to accommodate travelers who were delayed in getting to their gate because of the scare. The airport is also recommending that if you’re flying through HOU on Thursday to contact your airline to make sure your flight hasn’t been affected.
Thursday’s incident at HOU comes just one day after a similar bomb scare at Houston’s other airport, George Bush Intercontinental (IAH). On Wednesday, police detained “an impatient passenger” who commented about explosives in a bag at the airport. The spokesperson for the airport said that the passenger’s “inappropriate comment” forced the international terminal at IAH to close for nearly an hour as a bomb squad was brought in.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees