‘Novelty Grenade’ Causes Bomb Scare at Houston Hobby Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A security checkpoint at Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) shut down for a period on Thursday when a suspicious item was found in a passenger’s bag. The item was later determined to be a toy grenade.
According to a Houston Airport System spokesperson, a Transportation Security Administration agent spotted a suspicious item in a passenger’s bag around 4:35am local time. When the item was discovered, airport officials forced hundreds of passengers waiting in the line to move away from the immediate area.
“My wife and I were waiting to drop our bags into the X-ray machine and go through the detector, and I heard a TSA agent scream ‘Shut it down, shut it down, shut it down!'” said John L. Moore, a passenger who is also an AP journalist. “Everyone was looking around, confused, and people were ordered to ‘Clear out now!'”
A bomb squad was brought in and determined that the suspicious item was a “novelty grenade.” According to KTRK, Houston police confirmed that the toy belonged to a 17-year-old Boy Scout. The traveler was not taken into custody.
The airport spokesperson said that Southwest is adjusting some flights to accommodate travelers who were delayed in getting to their gate because of the scare. The airport is also recommending that if you’re flying through HOU on Thursday to contact your airline to make sure your flight hasn’t been affected.
Thursday’s incident at HOU comes just one day after a similar bomb scare at Houston’s other airport, George Bush Intercontinental (IAH). On Wednesday, police detained “an impatient passenger” who commented about explosives in a bag at the airport. The spokesperson for the airport said that the passenger’s “inappropriate comment” forced the international terminal at IAH to close for nearly an hour as a bomb squad was brought in.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.