This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now through May 31, you can get a 25% bonus when transferring hotel points from five hotel programs to American Airlines’ AAdvantage program. The number of hotel points transferred and miles received depends on the program that you are transferring from:
- Best Western: 5,000 Best Western Rewards points = 1,250 AAdvantage miles
- IHG: 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points = 2,500 AAdvantage miles
- Marriott: various conversion rates up to 2.24 : 1 after bonus
- Radisson Rewards: 2,000 Radisson Rewards points = 250 AAdvantage miles
- Starwood Preferred Guest: 20,000 Starpoints = 31,250 AAdvantage miles
While Choice, Hilton, Hyatt and Wyndham points also transfer to AAdvantage, these programs aren’t participating in this bonus promotion.
This promotion’s terms and conditions note that the 25% bonus miles might take up to seven business days to post. But, remember that American Airlines will let you hold an award flight for up to five days. Because the five-day hold might run out before the 25% bonus posts, you might not want to count on the 25% bonus miles if award availability is tight.
Unfortunately, the T&C also say that “conversions for hotel and air packages from Hotel Partners are not included for this offer.” So, you won’t be able to take advantage of Marriott’s lucrative Hotel + Air packages and this 25% bonus.
Is It Worth It?
While a 25% bonus sounds good, the conversion rates from hotels to AAdvantage miles aren’t very good to start with. So, you’re going to need a valuable AA redemption and/or a low personal valuation of your hotel points in order to make this promotion worth utilizing. Also, this promotion can be useful to clear out smaller hotel point balances.
Let’s dig into the numbers to see just how these transfers end up when incorporating the 25% bonus. And because some programs have multiple tiers of potential point transfers, we’re using the smallest transfer amount that has the best transfer rate in this chart.
Value columns are based on TPG valuations and are rounded to the nearest dollar, but the “Change in Value” column is based on un-rounded data:
|Hotel program||Hotel Points||AA Miles (after bonus)||Value of
|IHG Rewards Club||10,000||2,500||$60||$35||-42%|
|Starwood Preferred Guest||20,000||31,250||$540||$438||-19%|
As you can see, you’re going to lose paper value from these transfers. However, Starwood Preferred Guest provides a tempting option. Combining the standard 5,000 bonus mile offer for transferring 20,000 Starpoints with this 25% bonus, you’ll end up with more than a 56% combined bonus.
Also, as you can see, you only have to transfer a very small amount of Radisson Rewards points or a small amount of Best Western Rewards points to get this bonus. So, this transfer bonus opportunity to clear out small hotel point balances with these programs.
Finally, this transfer bonus can make sense when you need to top off your AAdvantage account for an AAwesome AAward.
Featured image of Qatar’s A350 business class — an AAwesome AAdvantage redemption at just 70,000 miles one-way from the US to the Middle East or India.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees