Staying Comfortable During a Home Remodel — Reader Success Story
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today I want to share a story from TPG reader Dick, who used his points to book an unexpected hotel stay:
After a day or so of noise and dust, I decided to check into a local hotel for the duration of a remodeling job in my home. I noticed Amex was offering a 30% transfer bonus to Hilton Honors, in addition to getting the fifth night free for award stays [for Hilton elite members]. I ensured my numbers were right and converted 40,000 Membership Rewards points into 104,000 Hilton points, and reserved a local Hampton Inn for five nights at a value of about $900.
The contractor then told me he needed an additional week, but my Hilton was filling up for a local event, so I took to the computer again and found a deal at a local Comfort Inn for 8,000 points per night. I transferred 40,000 points from Amex to Choice Privileges and got another $900 of value (for a slightly nicer hotel).
At about 2.25 cents per point, these awards weren’t as valuable as international business class flights, but those two weeks at essentially no charge allowed me to apply some needed dollars to the remodeling. Meanwhile, I got a ten-day vacation at two very serviceable hotels nearby. That made it easy to check up on the remodeling regularly without getting in the contractor’s way.
I’ve written before about using rewards for last-minute travel and shared other success stories from readers who saved a huge amount by booking award flights when time was short. While hotel rates don’t typically skyrocket to the extent airfare does, hotel awards can also be a great value in a pinch. Most hotel programs charge the same amount regardless of when you book, and they don’t tack on a close-in booking fee. So long as there’s availability, any premium you would normally incur for a paid stay won’t translate to your award redemption.
Ten nights at a pair of mid-level hotels near home probably isn’t what most award travelers have in mind for their points. But this story is a good example of how rewards can make life easier by giving you options. Without the ability to redeem points from Amex, Dick would have either had to pay for a hotel out of pocket or suck it up and deal with the noise and mess of the remodeling work. His award wasn’t glamorous, but it made his life more pleasant and offered a good return. That passes muster in my book.
I love this story and I want to hear more like it! In appreciation for sharing this experience (and for allowing me to post it online), I’m sending Dick a $200 airline gift card to enjoy on future travels, and I’d like to do the same for you. Please email your own award travel success stories to firstname.lastname@example.org; be sure to include details about how you earned and redeemed your rewards, and put “Reader Success Story” in the subject line. Feel free to also submit your most woeful travel mistakes, or to contribute to our new award redemption series. If your story is published in either case, I’ll send you a gift to jump-start your next adventure.
Safe and happy travels to all, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Featured image by Petra Kessler via Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees