Hotel Goes Above and Beyond to Help Family With Sick Child Celebrate Thanksgiving
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whether we’re looking for a thoughtful experience or something exciting and new, we love to see hotels and airlines make an effort to provide a memorable experience. And this holiday season, we’ve seen travel companies go above and beyond to do just that.
One avid TPG reader, Dee Seiffer, reached out to our team in hopes of relaying her thanks to a hotel that made her holiday season more than memorable.
In October, Seiffer’s son Jamie was diagnosed with Stage 3/4 Classic Hodgkins Lymphoma. While Jamie undergoes his 12 chemo treatment every other week, Seiffer and her family are staying at the Homewood Suites in Boulder, CO. Jaime’s most recent treatment fell on the week of Thanksgiving and hotel staff went out of their way to bring comfort to the family as the holiday approached.
When the family stayed at the Homewood Suites about two weeks ago, Seiffer filled out a post-stay survey. She complimented the stay, but also mentioned that her room’s kitchen wasn’t well-equipped for extensive cooking. Seiffer anticipated that when her family returned for Thanksgiving it would be difficult to cook the holiday meal.
When the family returned this week, Seiffer came back to a room filled with brand new cooking supplies, including baking dishes, storage containers, mixing bowls, a mixer, colander, measuring cups and spoons. Staff offered up the hotel’s oven for Seiffer’s Thanksgiving dinner. They also brought extra dishes, silverware and glasses.
“The staff at this hotel has gone so far beyond anything I could have possibly expected, I am gobsmacked. . . and beyond grateful,” Seiffer told TPG. “People keep asking if there is anything else they can do for us. Truly heartwarming.”
In hopes of returning the favor, Seiffer asked our help to notify Hilton Corporate about the staff’s efforts. We were able to connect Seiffer with Mark Weinstein, Senior Vice President and Global Head of Customer Engagement, Loyalty and Partnerships, who gave a heartfelt reply. Within the response, he said the following:
The experience [Dee] described is what we set out to do each and every day at Hilton and at Homewood Suites in particular – providing our guests with home-away-from-home and welcoming you as members of our family. But [Dee’s] experiences with the hotel team goes far beyond anything we could possibly mandate or script. It is genuine and heartfelt from our Team Members. I am so fortunate to have colleagues who care so much about each of their guests and who stand at the ready to do whatever they can to make sure your stay a little warmer and brighter.
But the giving didn’t end there. Yesterday, during the Homewood Suite staff’s Thanksgiving pot-luck, corporate offices sent over a few pies for the family to enjoy.
Later, a bouquet of flowers was delivered to the family’s room.
It’s during this chaotic time of travel that the brands we’re loyal to have been able to reciprocate loyalty and admiration for their customers. Dee’s experience illustrates that the Thanksgiving spirit extends beyond our homes, and the travel industry has been taking part in the effort to make the season that much more cheery.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.