Hotel Goes Above and Beyond to Help Family With Sick Child Celebrate Thanksgiving
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Whether we’re looking for a thoughtful experience or something exciting and new, we love to see hotels and airlines make an effort to provide a memorable experience. And this holiday season, we’ve seen travel companies go above and beyond to do just that.
One avid TPG reader, Dee Seiffer, reached out to our team in hopes of relaying her thanks to a hotel that made her holiday season more than memorable.
In October, Seiffer’s son Jamie was diagnosed with Stage 3/4 Classic Hodgkins Lymphoma. While Jamie undergoes his 12 chemo treatment every other week, Seiffer and her family are staying at the Homewood Suites in Boulder, CO. Jaime’s most recent treatment fell on the week of Thanksgiving and hotel staff went out of their way to bring comfort to the family as the holiday approached.
When the family stayed at the Homewood Suites about two weeks ago, Seiffer filled out a post-stay survey. She complimented the stay, but also mentioned that her room’s kitchen wasn’t well-equipped for extensive cooking. Seiffer anticipated that when her family returned for Thanksgiving it would be difficult to cook the holiday meal.
When the family returned this week, Seiffer came back to a room filled with brand new cooking supplies, including baking dishes, storage containers, mixing bowls, a mixer, colander, measuring cups and spoons. Staff offered up the hotel’s oven for Seiffer’s Thanksgiving dinner. They also brought extra dishes, silverware and glasses.
“The staff at this hotel has gone so far beyond anything I could have possibly expected, I am gobsmacked. . . and beyond grateful,” Seiffer told TPG. “People keep asking if there is anything else they can do for us. Truly heartwarming.”
In hopes of returning the favor, Seiffer asked our help to notify Hilton Corporate about the staff’s efforts. We were able to connect Seiffer with Mark Weinstein, Senior Vice President and Global Head of Customer Engagement, Loyalty and Partnerships, who gave a heartfelt reply. Within the response, he said the following:
The experience [Dee] described is what we set out to do each and every day at Hilton and at Homewood Suites in particular – providing our guests with home-away-from-home and welcoming you as members of our family. But [Dee’s] experiences with the hotel team goes far beyond anything we could possibly mandate or script. It is genuine and heartfelt from our Team Members. I am so fortunate to have colleagues who care so much about each of their guests and who stand at the ready to do whatever they can to make sure your stay a little warmer and brighter.
But the giving didn’t end there. Yesterday, during the Homewood Suite staff’s Thanksgiving pot-luck, corporate offices sent over a few pies for the family to enjoy.
Later, a bouquet of flowers was delivered to the family’s room.
It’s during this chaotic time of travel that the brands we’re loyal to have been able to reciprocate loyalty and admiration for their customers. Dee’s experience illustrates that the Thanksgiving spirit extends beyond our homes, and the travel industry has been taking part in the effort to make the season that much more cheery.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees