Save money — and the hotel industry — by purchasing ‘hotel bonds’
While there’s light at the end of the coronavirus tunnel thanks to the approval and subsequent distribution launch of multiple COVID-19 vaccines, we’re still a ways off from the travel industry returning to the boom times of 2019.
Hotels have had to get creative to reassure guests that their properties are safe and to attract new business from nervous travelers. That means not just enhanced cleaning and sanitization protocols, but also incentives (discounts, mainly) to get people back through hotel doors.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“Hotel bonds” is one of the more creative ideas we’ve seen. They are a variation of an advance-purchase gift card. You purchase a “bond” today for $100 and then after a certain amount of time, the bond is worth more money. In this case, the “maturation period” is 60 days when the $100 bond will then be worth $150. The term “bond” is used to illustrate the concept of purchasing gift cards immediately at a discount and then using them at a later date with greater value. It’s important to note that if a given hotel goes out of business before you’re able to use your gift cards, you could lose your money.
The Buy Now, Stay Later hotel bonds program currently has dozens of participating hotels, but more are being added “every day.” Travelers can purchase multiple bonds for a given hotel — if you purchase five bonds for $500, they’ll be worth $750 after 60 days — though individual terms and conditions vary by property so make sure to check before you purchase.
As we mentioned above, dozens of hotels around the globe are participating, but some of the notable properties include Nihi Sumba in Indonesia; Greydon House on Nantucket in Massachusetts; Labotessa in Cape Town, South Africa; the Fairmont Austin in Texas; and many more.
The hotel bonds program is a clever way to stimulate demand and bookings with a baked-in discount on future travel. It simultaneously helps to keep hotels afloat — and workers paid — thanks to the prepayment aspect of the program. If you’re looking to travel in the future, this could be win-win situation since you’ll get a significant discount on future travel and your purchase will help sustain hotel operations in the meantime. Again, though, there’s a risk to purchasing travel that far in advance, given the tenuous situation of the industry.
If you do think this program is right for you, make sure to use a credit card that will earn you bonus points on your travel purchase, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve® that awards three points per dollar on travel expenses.
Featured photo by Becca Manheimer/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees