Host Your Dream Wedding in This Italian Castle for Just $100
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve ever fantasized about having a fairytale, castle wedding but are a bit strapped for cash — you’re in luck. Roccascalegna Castle, in the Abruzzo region of Italy, is now in the market for private events with a price tag of only €100 ($114).
The castle itself is about a 7,500 square-foot venue that includes its very own chapel, a tower that can host a reception or any cocktail party you can dream up, and, you know, some former dungeons and torture rooms that boast the perfect lighting for intimate dinners or brunch. Built sometime in the Middle Ages, the venue holds a storied history of attacks and invasions ranging from “barbarians” to wayward pirates from the Adriatic Sea. It even has some reported hauntings on sight (as any old castle should). Its most famous ghost is a headless baron known as Baron Corvo de Corvis. His old armor is on display in the castle sans helmet, of course.
Rustic and riddled with “craggily” walkways (any type of high-heeled shoe is not recommended) the only way to reach Roccascalegna Castle is by foot, but don’t worry — town mayor Domenico Giangiordano is willing to help with any accommodations you may need to get your guests to the top of the cliff. He’s even volunteered himself to be the wedding planner. (He’ll help with catering, too!)
According to CNN, guests at any Roccascalegna Castle event can expect locally made, specialty food such as “pallotte cace e ova (meatballs with grated Pecorino sheep cheese and eggs), Pizza Scima, (a white wine and olive oil flatbread), arrosticini lamb skewers, fiadone ricotta cheese pie and crespelle sweet-and-sour waffles” — all prepared by a grandmother who runs the village bakery. You can have all this and authentic, Italian wedding cake of “taralli,” shaped like a crown.
So why is this old, hidden-away Italian gem, nicknamed the “Castle in the Sky” suddenly in the party-venue market? Giangiordano told CNN that he believes it’s a chance to breathe some new life into a historical landmark and the surrounding neighborhood. “Our goal isn’t to raise cash but to use this unique setting to revamp the local economy by luring an elite clientele who loves tiny, offbeat spots,” Giangiordano explained. Roccascalegna, a remote town in the province of Chieti, contains just about 1,195 people as of 2017. Houses are currently on the market for about $22,000 for a fixer-upper.
Featured image by Alfredo Costanzo/ClickAlps/REDA&CO/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees