Host Your Dream Wedding in This Italian Castle for Just $100
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve ever fantasized about having a fairytale, castle wedding but are a bit strapped for cash — you’re in luck. Roccascalegna Castle, in the Abruzzo region of Italy, is now in the market for private events with a price tag of only €100 ($114).
The castle itself is about a 7,500 square-foot venue that includes its very own chapel, a tower that can host a reception or any cocktail party you can dream up, and, you know, some former dungeons and torture rooms that boast the perfect lighting for intimate dinners or brunch. Built sometime in the Middle Ages, the venue holds a storied history of attacks and invasions ranging from “barbarians” to wayward pirates from the Adriatic Sea. It even has some reported hauntings on sight (as any old castle should). Its most famous ghost is a headless baron known as Baron Corvo de Corvis. His old armor is on display in the castle sans helmet, of course.
Rustic and riddled with “craggily” walkways (any type of high-heeled shoe is not recommended) the only way to reach Roccascalegna Castle is by foot, but don’t worry — town mayor Domenico Giangiordano is willing to help with any accommodations you may need to get your guests to the top of the cliff. He’s even volunteered himself to be the wedding planner. (He’ll help with catering, too!)
According to CNN, guests at any Roccascalegna Castle event can expect locally made, specialty food such as “pallotte cace e ova (meatballs with grated Pecorino sheep cheese and eggs), Pizza Scima, (a white wine and olive oil flatbread), arrosticini lamb skewers, fiadone ricotta cheese pie and crespelle sweet-and-sour waffles” — all prepared by a grandmother who runs the village bakery. You can have all this and authentic, Italian wedding cake of “taralli,” shaped like a crown.
So why is this old, hidden-away Italian gem, nicknamed the “Castle in the Sky” suddenly in the party-venue market? Giangiordano told CNN that he believes it’s a chance to breathe some new life into a historical landmark and the surrounding neighborhood. “Our goal isn’t to raise cash but to use this unique setting to revamp the local economy by luring an elite clientele who loves tiny, offbeat spots,” Giangiordano explained. Roccascalegna, a remote town in the province of Chieti, contains just about 1,195 people as of 2017. Houses are currently on the market for about $22,000 for a fixer-upper.
Featured image by Alfredo Costanzo/ClickAlps/REDA&CO/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.