This travel company will plant trees for every flight and hotel room booked
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travel booking app Hopper launched a new initiative today to help neutralize the environmental impact of its customers’ travel.
“Beginning today, Hopper will be the first travel-booking app to offer free carbon dioxide (CO₂) emissions offsets on behalf of our customers for every flight and hotel purchased in the app,” Hopper founder and CEO Frederic Lalonde said in a statement posted to the company website.
The new Hopper Trees program will donate funds to plant up to four trees per flight sold and up to two trees per hotel room booked through Hopper. The company estimates it will sponsor at least six million trees in 2020.
The donations will go to Eden Reforestation Projects, an SGS Forest Management-certified 501c3 non-profit organization that has planted more than 265 million trees in deforested areas in Madagascar, Indonesia, Kenya and Mozambique over the past 15 years.
Hopper cited research led by a Swiss lab that found global reforestation efforts have been “one of the most effective carbon drawdown solutions to date,” with “the potential to store an equivalent of 25% of the current atmospheric carbon pool.”
Carbon emissions are one of the biggest negative impacts of air travel. A single one-way economy seat between New York and Los Angeles generates approximately 2,205 pounds of carbon dioxide on average, according to the Atmosfair carbon emissions calculator. That’s the same amount of carbon dioxide the average car produces in two and a half months, according to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) calculations. Multiply that amount by the number of travelers on each flight, then again by the number of planes in the air each day, and the pollution impact is staggering.
So why trees, and how do they help? For starters, trees absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen back into the air. In one year, one acre of mature trees can absorb enough carbon dioxide to neutralize the impact of driving 26,000 miles, according to TreePeople. By the metrics above, that’s the equivalent of just over 10 travelers flying coach from New York to Los Angeles.
Beyond the immediate impact, reforestation has a number of additional benefits for the environment: Trees provide safe, nurturing habitats for animals and sustain entire ecosystems. Trees also purify water sources, control flooding and erosion, and replenish agriculture-friendly nutrients in the soil while providing beauty and shade where people can rest.
Hopper isn’t the only travel brand seeking to lessen its environmental impact. In 2019, The Points Guy committed to purchasing carbon offsets on all employee travel. Delta travelers headed to the CES trade show in Las Vegas flew carbon-neutral this January. JetBlue has committed to offsetting 17 billion pounds of emissions per year, and Hilton said the hotel chain has reduced carbon emissions by 30% over the past decade. A number of other airlines and hotels are getting in on fighting climate change as well.
If you’re interested in doing your part to offset your own travel impact, check out TPG’s guide to offsetting flight-related carbon emissions.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees