Fewer Asia Deals Ahead? Hong Kong Airlines Extends US Schedule Reduction
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hong Kong Airlines launched service to the US in December 2017 as a relative unknown. Since then, it’s turned heads through the number of cheap flights it offered, including business class from Los Angeles to Shanghai for just $561 round-trip. And those cheap flights have driven down prices on other airlines, making Hong Kong a fairly consistently-cheap destination.
I utilized Hong Kong Airlines’ cheap one-way fares to position from the US to Hong Kong in November. Despite booking just 10 days before departure, the one-way fare was just $321. And the experience was surprisingly good: full service at a low-cost price. The airline also distinguished itself in business class.
However, the airline has had problems in the last few months. High-profile executives have left or been forced out of the company; a struggle for control of the boardroom and questions over ownership ensued. The issues have caused the airline’s auditor to resign. More recently, the airline has even suffered delays due to parts falling off aircraft.
With financial issues plaguing the airline, it’s reportedly looking to reduce its fleet by more than 25 percent to cut costs. So, it should be no surprise that Hong Kong Airlines has reduced its flight schedule. Unfortunately for US travelers, the airline’s routes to Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) haven’t been spared.
Hong Kong Airlines initially operated the LAX flight daily, and SFO 4x weekly. But, as reported by RoutesOnline, LAX has been reduced to 4x weekly from August 26 and San Francisco to 3x weekly from August 31. Those reductions have just been extended into 2020.
What does this mean for airfares to Hong Kong? Well, you can currently find fares as low as $314 one-way on Hong Kong Airlines, and legacy carriers’ fares fell to compete.
And the competition has driven round-trip down to just $458:
However, on the dates that Hong Kong Airlines isn’t operating, the one-way fares are notably higher.
And round-trip fares are also significantly higher:
While this reduction in frequencies is understandable with what’s going on at Hong Kong Airlines, it’s bad news for US-based travelers looking for a great deal to Hong Kong and beyond. Still, there are some deals — on Hong Kong Airlines, American Airlines, United, Singapore and others — thanks to the intense competition.
Featured image by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.