Holiday Alert: Alaska Airlines Will Let You Fly a Case of Wine for Free
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The holidays are approaching, and for some of us, that means catching up with friends and family over wine—and a lot of it.
Alaska Airlines wants to remind travelers that yes, those 12 bottles you bought in Wine Country can fly free. One catch, you have to be an Alaskan Mileage Plan member.
By adding your Mileage Plan number to your reservation on an Alaska Airlines, Horizon Air, or SkyWest flight, you’ll receive a $25 fee waiver to check one case of wine on flights within the US departing from participating West Coast cities. Only 28 cities participate across California, Idaho, Oregon and Washington.
A case consists of 12 bottles and must be packed and sealed in a protective shipping container. Alaska will mark the package as fragile, but will only cover the cost if the package is lost—you can check your wine bottles at your own risk. TSA also has the right to inspect the package during transport, but will reseal it if need be.
Your wine can depart for free from the following airports:
- Los Angeles
- Orange County
- Palm Springs
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- San Luis Obispo
- Santa Barbara
- Santa Rosa
- Walla Walla
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees