Honolulu Airport Is Going Solar
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beachgoers won’t be the only ones soaking up the sun in Honolulu.
Hawaii’s Department of Transportation said Tuesday that Honolulu’s Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL) will be harnessing the power of the sun with the installation of 4,260 solar panels.
The integration of solar power at the airport is part of Hawaii’s goal of generating 100% clean energy by 2045. Officials hope the solar power absorbed by the panels will cut the airport’s electricity bill in half.
“It’s good for the environment, it will save the state money and it provides covered parking at the airport,” Hawaii’s Governor David Y. Ige told CNBC.
In 2016, Cochin International Airport (COK) in southern India became the world’s first airport run completely on solar power. It uses tens of thousands of solar panels in a 45-acre field to harness just over 48,000-50,000 kilowatts to power the airport daily. COK predicts its solar panels will prevent more than 300,000 metric tons of carbon from being emitted over 25 years.
HNL will start installing the thousands of solar panels on top of its Terminal 1 parking garage beginning in August, with the project set to be completed by mid-November.
Hawaii’s Department of Transportation is planning to install more than 21,000 solar panels across all of the state’s airports.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.