Hong Kong mulling shorter quarantine period for fully vaccinated travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hong Kong may be close to easing some of the world’s tightest COVID-19 restrictions.
Under the proposed change, vaccinated people arriving from countries not deemed “high risk” would be eligible for the shorter quarantine period. The exemption would be contingent on travelers getting a positive antibody result from a test taken in Hong Kong after they arrive.
Loosening its restrictions would be a massive change for Hong Kong, which has had extremely tight protocols in place since the pandemic began. Most people traveling from abroad are required to wear a tracking bracelet and isolate in their hotel rooms for three weeks — 14-day quarantine plus a seven-day self-monitoring period.
But recently, the government carved out some exceptions to allow high-level bankers more flexibility in a move seen as catering to Hong Kong’s all-important financial sector. Officials announced that two senior leaders at banks or insurance companies can apply each month for quarantine exceptions. Any applicants must be fully vaccinated to be considered.
The same panel advocating for a reduced quarantine period also supported lowering the age threshold for getting the vaccine to 12. That change will be implemented later this month.
Featured photo by Seng Chye Teo/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees