Hilton updating how you earn points on hotel stays
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hilton yesterday announced that it would be rolling out a few positive changes on how Hilton Honors members earn points on room stays, as posted by Hilton’s William Sanders on Flyer Talk.
Here are some of the changes and what they mean for you.
Sanders says members will now be able to earn Base Points on up to four rooms on eligible multi-room reservations. Previously, the program allowed you to earn base points on two rooms only.
For airlines, miles that are earned are generally called “butt-in-seat” miles, meaning the person who is flying is the one who gets the miles. With hotels, however, you can book a hotel for someone else, and in many cases, you can still earn points and/or elite credit for booking multiple hotel rooms.
There will no longer be a limit on the number of base points a member can earn per stay. Previously, Hilton Honors members were unable to accrue more than 100,000 base points per stay at certain brands.
Hilton Honors members will now be able to earn points on eligible hotel incidental spend at all of Hilton Portfolio brands. Previously, Hilton Honors members only earned 10 points per dollar on room rates only (not other charges) at Hampton Inns and Homewood Suites. At Home2 Suites and Tru by Hilton, they only earned 5 base points per dollar spent.
Sanders said the hotel will release the updated terms and conditions on Jan. 9, and we will update this post when they’re live.
If you’re thinking about adding a Hilton co-branded credit card to your wallet to earn even more points, you have several options including:
- Hilton Honors American Express Card
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
- Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express
Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express will net you 150,000 points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of opening your account. You also earn 14 points per dollar spent at participating Hilton hotels, 7 points per dollar spent at U.S. restaurants, flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com and car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies and 3 points per dollar on all other eligible purchases.
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
While the Aspire is arguably the “best bang for your buck”, be sure to look at the full portfolio of cards to see which card works best for you.
You can also use transferable points, as American Express Membership Rewards transfer to Hilton Honors at a 1:2 ratio. The program does run transfer bonuses from time to time, but since TPG values Amex points at 2 cents per point and Hilton Honors points at 0.6 cents per point, even transferring during a bonus period likely won’t make sense.
Featured image courtesy of Hilton
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees