Hilton Plans Two-Day Blackout for Reservation and Loyalty Platform Migration
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a few months removed from a Marriott/SPG loyalty program migration that didn’t go smoothly and still has members frustrated, Hilton Honors is planning a reservation and loyalty platform migration this week. While the exact timing is unclear, numerous systems will be “offline starting October 30, and depending on your time zone, extend into October 31,” according to a Hilton representative.
During this outage, Hilton guests won’t be able to book, amend or cancel reservations — including redemption reservations — through the Hilton website, app, call centers or at hotels. Potential new members won’t be able to enroll in Hilton Honors. And, according to a banner at the top of the Hilton website, “you may be unable to use Digital Check-in or Digital Key.”
Anyone with a stay during this offline period should have received — or will receive — an email informing them of this downtime. Guests are encouraged to contact the hotel directly if there are any issues.
Since the exact timing is unclear, if you have a stay cancellation period that ends on October 30 or 31, you’ll want to decide before Tuesday whether or not to keep the reservation.
It seems Hilton is doing what it can to give members and guests a heads-up about this downtime. However, it’d be helpful if Hilton would share what time it plans to begin the system migration so members would know when they’re losing access to their accounts and controls. When TPG asked a Hilton representative about the specific timing, we were informed that the “update will be taking place during a window from Oct 30 and into the early morning on Oct 31 (US time).”
The good news is that there’s an upside to this downtime. Hilton shared with TPG that “upon completion of these updates, Hilton Honors members can expect to see their Points post more quickly.” Also, Hilton is working on “newly enabled user experience improvements” that it plans to share details about as these become available to members.
Here’s rooting for the migration process to be smooth, the issues during the downtime to be few — with agents and hotels well-prepared for any issues that pop up — and the results to be worth the up-to-two-day inconvenience.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees