Hilton Houses 28 Homeless People for Christmas Following Britannia Royal Cancellation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The DoubleTree Hilton in Hull, England, has offered 28 homeless people free rooms and meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day following a controversial cancellation by the nearby Britannia Royal hotel.
The original booking was made by Raise the Roof Hull homeless project. An annual occurrence, organizer Carl Simpson had paid £1,092 to the Britannia Royal for 14 twin rooms before the hotel canceled the reservation on Monday, Dec. 18. The hotel claims that they had heard reports of bad behavior from the program, specifically citing incidents that occurred at last year’s location, the Ibis Hotel. However, Simpson, who had also organized the last year’s Christmas event, denied these claims and took to Facebook to clear the air:
However, Britannia Royal maintained that a woman claiming to be a part of the project last year had contacted the hotel with claims that it had caused “a serious problem,” with room and property damage being quoted as a specific issue.
Yet, Simpson asserts that none of this happened. According to him, the guests who stayed in the Ibis Hotel last year were “grateful.” Some even left hotel staffers gifts, and one even offered to help vacuum the rooms following the stay. “This means the world to homeless people,” said Simpson. “Last year we had tears of joy from someone who stood on the edge of the Humber Bridge the night before.”
Following Simpson’s post and public outcry (people raised more than £9,000 in support of the project), The DoubleTree Hilton in Hull stepped in. “We can confirm that the DoubleTree Hilton have offered to put up 28 people for two nights with breakfast and Xmas dinner provided and they are doing this complimentary,” said Simpson. As for the Britannia Royal? They’ve since reached out to Raise the Roof Hull homeless project and offered to take the booking under certain conditions. The group has since declined the offer and plans on moving ahead with Double Tree.
Featured image by Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees