Buy Hilton points for the lowest rate ever, thanks to a 100% bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Perhaps you’re looking to cash in your Hilton Honors points for an unforgettable stay at the Conrad Maldives, the Hilton Moorea in French Polynesia or the Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort. Or, maybe you’re looking to book a quick weekend getaway. Whatever your dream is, another Hilton buy points promotion can potentially help you get there.
The new promotion was launched today and lasts through Nov. 26. It awards you a 100% bonus for purchasing points, beginning at 10,000 points. Hilton Honors members are permitted to buy up to 80,000 points each calendar year, but this promotion appears to waive that rule. With the 100% bonus, you can buy a maximum of 160,000 points and receive a 160,000-point bonus, for a total of 320,000 points — that’ll cost you $1,600.
Normally when Hilton sells points they go for one cent each, but this bonus allows you to snag points for half that at 0.5 apiece. TPG values Hilton points at 0.6 cents each, so this sale means you can acquire points for less than what they’re worth.
While we don’t often advise buying points to fully fund a stay, these moments are useful when you’re one or two nights short of making a dream vacation complete. In other words, if you already have 300,000 Honors points, but need 450,000 points for a specific booking, buying up allows you to instantly book your trip rather than having to earn them via future stays or credit card welcome bonuses. It’s also useful for near-term bookings at lower category properties — places where it’s relatively affordable to stay via points, but the cash rates are inflated.
Hilton also gives its elites (and it’s quite easy to get elite status with the hotel chain) the fifth night free when redeeming for award stays, increasing the value of your points by 20% when staying in increments of five nights. Also, Hilton’s Points and Money Rewards can sometimes allow you to get as much as 1 cent per point toward subsidizing the cash price of a luxury hotel.
It can also make sense to buy points for stays at luxury hotels like the Conrad Bora Bora Nui or the Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills, where room rates can reach $1,000 a night. If you can maximize the fifth night free on award bookings at these top-tier Hilton properties that normally cost 90,000 to 95,000 points a night, this promo allows you to effectively purchase rooms for $360 to $380 a night.
If you’re jonesing for even more Hilton points, consider applying for one of the chain’s Amex cobranded credit cards, all of which currently boast solid welcome bonuses.
- Hilton and Amex have brought back an exclusive limited-time offer just for TPG readers on the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card. Now through Dec. 31, 2019, TPG readers who apply for the card will earn 150,000 Hilton Honors points after spending $3,000 in purchases in the first three months, plus a $100 statement credit after making a first purchase with the card in the first three months. This offer is worth up to $1,000, according to TPG valuations.
- If you’re looking for a business credit card instead of a personal one, the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card also has a substantial welcome bonus — you’ll earn 125,000 Hilton Honors points after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card in the first three months.
- Finally, there’s the premium Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, which offers a welcome bonus of a whopping 150,000 points after spending $4,000 in purchases in the first three months. Those 150,000 points are worth $900 based on TPG’s latest valuations. Cardholders also enjoy Hilton’s top tier Diamond elite status, worth north of $3,000 if correctly maximized.
When buying Hilton points, the transaction is processed by Points.com, so a travel rewards card won’t earn bonus points on the purchase. You’ll want to use a card like the Chase Freedom Unlimited or The Blue Business®️ Plus Credit Card from American Express instead, which are great cards for non-category bonus spend.
Featured photo of Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa by the author.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page about Hilton’s “buy points” promotions, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for the latest offer. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older deals below.
For a limited time, earn 150,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months. Plus, a $100 statement credit after your first purchase with the card in the first three months. Terms apply.
- Earn a $100 Statement Credit after your first purchase on the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 150,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 12/31/2019.
- Earn a Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 on purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
- Earn 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio.
- Earn 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations.
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
- Spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn Hilton Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year.
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees