HiFly A380 Grounded Indefinitely After Colliding With Jet Bridge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hi Fly’s Airbus A380 (registration 9H-MIP) may very well be the most famous A380 in the skies. Just the sixth A380 to roll off of the manufacturing line and third to be delivered to a customer, the superjumbo found fame after being returned to its owner after a decade of service leased to Singapore Airlines. The financing company turned found a home for the A380 with wet lessor Hi Fly, making this A380 the first ever to be wet leased.
This summer has been an active one for the big aircraft: getting a new paint job, running its first wet leased flight with Thomas Cook and then completing a month flying Norwegian passengers between NYC and London. Of course TPG made sure to check out the ex-Singapore Suites product during one of its first transatlantic flights operating for Norwegian.
Currently, Air Austral is leasing the Hi Fly A380 for flights between Paris’ Charles de Gaulle (CDG) and Reunion’s Saint-Denis (RUN). Fun fact: Since Reunion is technically a region of France, the 5,809-mile flight is considered to be the “longest non-stop domestic flight”:
But, those flights came to a sudden end Friday night. While being towed on the ground in Paris, one of the massive aircraft’s engines struck a jet bridge. No passengers were on-board at the time of the incident.
Despite what seems to have been a minor collision causing minor damage, the A380 has been grounded since the incident with flight cancellations (UU978 from CDG-RUN and UU979 from RUN-CDG) stretching through at least Sunday. Air Austral’s other daily flight from Paris-Reunion (flights 974 and 975) is still operating using a Boeing 777-300ER.
To try to substitute for the loss of the A380, the airline has pulled a Boeing 777-300ER from other routes to operate a second-daily 777 flight between Paris-Reunion. These flights are operating as flights 971 and 972. This substitution is causing knock-on effects throughout Air Austral’s schedule, leading to numerous cancellations and consolidations. Per Reunion’s LINFO news service, all affected passengers have been contacted by text or email.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees