A Walking Tour Group Just Discovered a Hidden Piece of the Berlin Wall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some people comb the beach for lost treasure. Others sift through dirt for ancient fossils. One group of German residents out on a walking tour, however, recently re-discovered something much bigger and more significant: a section of the Berlin Wall previously obscured by “big bushes.”
The 20-meter section is located in northwest Berlin, and to make the discovery even weirder, it was located close to the seat of Germany’s intelligence service, the BND, according to DW.com. “The segment is a part of the outer defense perimeter that was built to provide additional security to the main wall,” the German news outlet. The wall was built in 1961 “in a bid to stop people from fleeing to the West, although Communist officials justified it by saying it was meant to protect the state from western meddling.”
Echoing what most of us are probably thinking, Berlin city councilor Ephraim Gothe, who was part of the walking tour that made the discovery, told DW, “I was completely surprised that undiscovered parts still exist.”
Authenticity was verified by the Berlin Wall Foundation.
“Although all the major segments of the wall have been mapped out by the early 2000s, it is still possible that some parts of it were overlooked,” reports DW.
The Berlin Wall divided East and West Berlin from 1961 to 1989 both figuratively and literally. Germany is currently commemorating the Wall’s more than 100 victims, killed trying to cross the barrier, which was finally demolished in the early 90s, on this, the 57th anniversary of the wall’s construction.
Photo by Paul Zinken/picture alliance via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees