A Walking Tour Group Just Discovered a Hidden Piece of the Berlin Wall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some people comb the beach for lost treasure. Others sift through dirt for ancient fossils. One group of German residents out on a walking tour, however, recently re-discovered something much bigger and more significant: a section of the Berlin Wall previously obscured by “big bushes.”
The 20-meter section is located in northwest Berlin, and to make the discovery even weirder, it was located close to the seat of Germany’s intelligence service, the BND, according to DW.com. “The segment is a part of the outer defense perimeter that was built to provide additional security to the main wall,” the German news outlet. The wall was built in 1961 “in a bid to stop people from fleeing to the West, although Communist officials justified it by saying it was meant to protect the state from western meddling.”
Echoing what most of us are probably thinking, Berlin city councilor Ephraim Gothe, who was part of the walking tour that made the discovery, told DW, “I was completely surprised that undiscovered parts still exist.”
Authenticity was verified by the Berlin Wall Foundation.
“Although all the major segments of the wall have been mapped out by the early 2000s, it is still possible that some parts of it were overlooked,” reports DW.
The Berlin Wall divided East and West Berlin from 1961 to 1989 both figuratively and literally. Germany is currently commemorating the Wall’s more than 100 victims, killed trying to cross the barrier, which was finally demolished in the early 90s, on this, the 57th anniversary of the wall’s construction.
Photo by Paul Zinken/picture alliance via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.