This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some people comb the beach for lost treasure. Others sift through dirt for ancient fossils. One group of German residents out on a walking tour, however, recently re-discovered something much bigger and more significant: a section of the Berlin Wall previously obscured by “big bushes.”
The 20-meter section is located in northwest Berlin, and to make the discovery even weirder, it was located close to the seat of Germany’s intelligence service, the BND, according to DW.com. “The segment is a part of the outer defense perimeter that was built to provide additional security to the main wall,” the German news outlet. The wall was built in 1961 “in a bid to stop people from fleeing to the West, although Communist officials justified it by saying it was meant to protect the state from western meddling.”
Echoing what most of us are probably thinking, Berlin city councilor Ephraim Gothe, who was part of the walking tour that made the discovery, told DW, “I was completely surprised that undiscovered parts still exist.”
Authenticity was verified by the Berlin Wall Foundation.
“Although all the major segments of the wall have been mapped out by the early 2000s, it is still possible that some parts of it were overlooked,” reports DW.
The Berlin Wall divided East and West Berlin from 1961 to 1989 both figuratively and literally. Germany is currently commemorating the Wall’s more than 100 victims, killed trying to cross the barrier, which was finally demolished in the early 90s, on this, the 57th anniversary of the wall’s construction.
Photo by Paul Zinken/picture alliance via Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees