Here It Is, the World’s First Used A380
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The aircraft landed in Malta after a ferry flight from Singapore, where it had been stored by Singapore Airlines until ownership was passed over to Hi Fly.
Lisbon-based Hi Fly will be the fourth European operator of an A380 and will take delivery of one more superjumbo formerly operated by Singapore Airlines — only Air France, Lufthansa and British Airways fly the double decker plane on the continent.
The aircraft will have a three -cabin configuration with 12 first class seats, 60 in business and 399 in economy for a total of 471 seats. Hi Fly is reportedly keeping the seats used by Singapore, so you’ll have one of the top first class products, Singapore Suites, flying around under the guise of other airlines.
It’s quite possible we will see an airline like Norwegian lease one of these A380s, especially considering their plague of 787 engine troubles that have forced them to operate wet-leased aircraft, including a 747.
This A380 has a new Maltese registration, 9H-MIP, having formerly flown under the Singaporean tail code 9V-SKC. According to Flight Global the aircraft will be painted in Malta with the Hi Fly livery before it goes into service later this year. The airline has published a rendering of how it will look once painted.
Hi Fly has not confirmed if any airline has intended to lease the aircraft.
Featured image courtesy of Hi Fly / Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.