This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The aircraft landed in Malta after a ferry flight from Singapore, where it had been stored by Singapore Airlines until ownership was passed over to Hi Fly.
Lisbon-based Hi Fly will be the fourth European operator of an A380 and will take delivery of one more superjumbo formerly operated by Singapore Airlines — only Air France, Lufthansa and British Airways fly the double decker plane on the continent.
The aircraft will have a three -cabin configuration with 12 first class seats, 60 in business and 399 in economy for a total of 471 seats. Hi Fly is reportedly keeping the seats used by Singapore, so you’ll have one of the top first class products, Singapore Suites, flying around under the guise of other airlines.
It’s quite possible we will see an airline like Norwegian lease one of these A380s, especially considering their plague of 787 engine troubles that have forced them to operate wet-leased aircraft, including a 747.
This A380 has a new Maltese registration, 9H-MIP, having formerly flown under the Singaporean tail code 9V-SKC. According to Flight Global the aircraft will be painted in Malta with the Hi Fly livery before it goes into service later this year. The airline has published a rendering of how it will look once painted.
Hi Fly has not confirmed if any airline has intended to lease the aircraft.
Featured image courtesy of Hi Fly / Twitter.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards