Skip to content

Here's How You Can Get the US Treasury to Send You a Check

April 04, 2018
2 min read
Here's How You Can Get the US Treasury to Send You a Check
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sign up for our daily newsletter

"She works hard for the money, so hard for it, honey" so you better treat it right. Everyone's taped together some ripped dollar bills and hoped that it'd be accepted as legal tender. On Tuesday, "Daily Show" writer Dan Amira took to his Twitter to reveal that the government will reimburse you for those damaged dollars.

On his Twitter, Amira shared a picture of a ripped $10 bill, a letter to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing asking for a reimbursement check and a check from the U.S. Treasury for $10. "I used to think the Government was bad, but now I think it is good," he tweeted. Amira got the scoop on the torn cash from the podcast, "The Money Fixers."

Within the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, there's a department called the Mutilated Currency Division. Here, US currency experts handle damaged money, "about 30,000 claims a year to the tune of more than $30 million," according to an article published by Time.

After his tweet, though, Amira realized via commenters that he could've just brought his ripped money to his local bank; the only condition at the banks is that three-quarters of the damaged bills must be intact and the bill is only ripped in two.

Top offers from our partners

How we chose these cards

Our points-obsessed staff uses a plethora of credit cards on a daily basis. If anyone on our team wouldn’t recommend it to a friend or a family member, we wouldn’t recommend it on The Points Guy either. Our opinions are our own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by our advertising partners.
See all best card offers