Here’s a New Glimpse of Delta’s First Airbus A220
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just over a month ago, Delta Air Lines launched one of its most compelling SkyMiles Experience auctions yet. Four of the highest bidders were treated to a trip to Mirabel, Quebec, to tour and explore the airline’s first Airbus A220-100, strap into a flight simulator experience and have a full three month’s head start on everyone else when it comes to enjoying Delta’s newest fleet member.
One of those winners, Peter S. from Philadelphia, opened up a bit to share what it was like to win and partake. “I decided to take my dad on this trip to the A220 facility because it’s truly once in a lifetime,” he said.
“As an aviation and Delta enthusiast, being one of the first people on this new airplane that Delta and its customers are really excited about, and being able see behind the scenes to a part of the manufacturing process that no one gets to see was really cool. I have a newfound respect for the engineers and people who maintain the planes. There’s so much knowledge, thought and time invested in every detail, and it showed.”
“The A220 simulator was by far my favorite stop – we all got a chance to fly it ourselves,” Peter said. “Seeing my dad in the flight simulator gave me the biggest smile — I love aviation, but it was all new to him and he was getting a kick out of it. It’s seldom we get to do something just the two of us, and it was special to spend the time with him.”
Nothing like the shot of pure adrenaline when sitting in a flight sim for the first time.
As part of the experience, a handful of new, never-before-seen images of the A220 have surfaced.
If you’re just now tuning in to the A220 saga, Delta is the first North American carrier to take delivery of the aircraft formerly known as the Bombardier C Series.
Making this jet special is its routing sweet spot: Delta plans to use it on longer runs currently operated by Delta Connection, so don’t be surprised if a sparkling new A220 replaces an aging CRJ900 on routes between ~800 and ~1,500 miles.
Moreover, the main cabin is equipped with Delta’s widest economy seat, and the first class cabin has IFE displays that rival some international business class offerings. Delta posits that the A220 offers widebody luxury in a narrowbody aircraft.
Delta’s first A220 routes are listed below, with inaugural runs between New York (LGA) and Boston (BOS) as well as New York (LGA) and Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) scheduled for Jan. 31, 2019. As you’d expect, we’ll be onboard one of those inaugural flights to bring you a full-scale review of the aircraft.
|New York (LGA) to Boston (BOS)||January|
|New York (LGA) to Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)||January|
|Detroit (DTW) to Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)||March|
|New York (LGA) to Houston (IAH)||April|
|Salt Lake City (SLC) to Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)||May|
|Minneapolis (MSP) to Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)||June|
|Houston (IAH) to Detroit (DTW)||July|
|Houston (IAH) to Minneapolis (MSP)||July|
|Houston (IAH) to Salt Lake City (SLC)||July|
|New York (JFK) to Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)||August|
Featured image courtesy of Delta Air Lines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees