Hearing-Impaired Passenger Lauds Lufthansa Crew For Going Above and Beyond
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For passengers with disabilities, air travel can come with challenges. Airlines offer accommodations and special assistance to travelers. For some passengers, however, these accommodations represent a bare minimum.
Antonia Rodrigues da Silva, who is hearing impaired, recently took to social media to detail her experience of traveling while deaf. She detailed the experience in which the flight crew working her Lufthansa flight went above and beyond to ensure she had a pleasant flight.
Rodrigues da Silva, who is a “reporter, writer, and producer” according to her Instagram bio, shared a few photos from a recent New York-to-Frankfurt flight showing the efforts of the crew. She also used the post to call out their effort to make her feel welcome.
“I want to say thank you to Jan, Len, and Anna for making my flight more comfortable and making me feel included. All those small things matter,” read the caption of one of her Instagram posts. It accompanied two photos that appear to show a napkin on which the flight crew took the time to write and illustrate details of the carrier’s service on the transatlantic flight.
Apparently understanding that Rodrigues da Silva might have difficulty with spoken announcements and possibly in communicating her preferences, the crew took the time and effort to create an impromptu written flight briefing.
On the side opposite the warm welcome and flight brief, the crew provided a menu complete with drawings of various drinks and meal options.
In a short video, Anotnia Rodrigues da Silva provides captions as she signs her experience and explains just how important small gestures were to her.
“That’s it. Simple.”, she explains in the short video filmed aboard her flight bound for Frankfurt.
For travelers without disabilities, it might be easy to assume the services and accommodations provided by airlines is sufficient. However, as Rodrigues da Silva notes, there is more to making all passengers feel equal and comfortable onboard flights. In some cases, simple gestures go a very long way.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image via @antoniardasilva on Instagram
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees