Effective immediately, HawaiianMiles no longer expire
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaiian Airlines flyers, rejoice!
As of April 12, 2021 HawaiianMiles is discontinuing its mileage expiration policy. Although Hawaiian already temporarily extended the validity of miles due to the pandemic, this change is now permanent.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Previously, HawaiianMiles expired after 18 months of inactivity. To keep your miles from expiring, you needed some form of earning or redeeming activity, such as spending on a Hawaiian Airlines co-branded credit card or transferring points from the American Express Membership Rewards program. However, that’s no longer the case.
The news that HawaiianMiles will no longer expire is the second passenger-friendly improvement the airline has made to its frequent flyer recently. Earlier this year, the airline cut Pualani elite qualification for the 2022 status year in half. Now, you can earn Pualani Gold status with 15 segments or 10,000 miles or Pualani Platinum status with 30 segments or 20,000 miles. Members that achieve Pualani Platinum status at the reduced elite qualifications will still receive their two Platinum upgrade certificates.
Hawaiian joins airlines like Delta, JetBlue, Southwest, United and Virgin Atlantic in axing its points expiration policy. Most other airlines, including American Airlines and Alaska, continue to have mileage expiration policies in place, though there are generally ways to extend validity without needing to fly. With HawaiianMiles, that’s one less thing to worry about.
Featured photo courtesy of Hawaiian Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.