This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a move we all knew was inevitable, Hawaiian Airlines has raised the cost of checked luggage on routes between Hawaii and mainland destinations. Effective Tuesday, Nov. 13, the first checked bag will cost $30 — a $5 increase from the previous rate of $25. The second bag’s checked fee will also increase by $5, rising from $35 to $40.
All told, checking in two pieces of luggage will now cost travelers $70 instead of $60. All flights ticketed before Nov. 13 will still be subject to the lower bag fees. Fees for flights between “neighbor islands” within the state of Hawaii continue to remain flat: $25 for the first bag, and $35 for the second. And HawaiianMiles frequent flyer program members will continue to enjoy reduced-rate fees of $15 and $20, respectively, for first and second checked bags on intra-Hawaii flights.
Hawaiian is just the latest airline in a slew of carriers that hiked bag fees in the name of “bringing better service” to customers this year. JetBlue and United raised bag fees late this summer. Delta did it on the sly. American and Alaska followed suit. The lowest-cost carriers have always charged higher for bags. Only budget carrier Southwest is still going strong with its famous “[Two] Bags Fly Free” policy, which increasingly proves its value as other carriers’ fees continue to rise.
Featured photo courtesy of
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees