Hawaiian Becomes the Latest US Airline to Raise Checked Bag Fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a move we all knew was inevitable, Hawaiian Airlines has raised the cost of checked luggage on routes between Hawaii and mainland destinations. Effective Tuesday, Nov. 13, the first checked bag will cost $30 — a $5 increase from the previous rate of $25. The second bag’s checked fee will also increase by $5, rising from $35 to $40.
All told, checking in two pieces of luggage will now cost travelers $70 instead of $60. All flights ticketed before Nov. 13 will still be subject to the lower bag fees. Fees for flights between “neighbor islands” within the state of Hawaii continue to remain flat: $25 for the first bag, and $35 for the second. And HawaiianMiles frequent flyer program members will continue to enjoy reduced-rate fees of $15 and $20, respectively, for first and second checked bags on intra-Hawaii flights.
Hawaiian is just the latest airline in a slew of carriers that hiked bag fees in the name of “bringing better service” to customers this year. JetBlue and United raised bag fees late this summer. Delta did it on the sly. American and Alaska followed suit. The lowest-cost carriers have always charged higher for bags. Only budget carrier Southwest is still going strong with its famous “[Two] Bags Fly Free” policy, which increasingly proves its value as other carriers’ fees continue to rise.
Featured photo courtesy of
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.