Hawaiian Airlines and Japan Airlines to Extend Reciprocal Frequent Flyer Benefits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
First comes the meeting, then comes the codeshare. And now, there’s reciprocity of frequent flyer benefits. Hawaiian Airlines and Japan Airlines have elevated their relationship status yet again, announcing on Tuesday that JAL Mileage Bank and HawaiianMiles members will “enjoy reciprocal frequent flyer benefits effective Oct. 1 as the carriers grow their comprehensive partnership to offer more value to travelers.”
Under the enhanced program, HawaiianMiles members will be able to earn and redeem miles on all international and Japan domestic flights in JAL’s network, while JAL Mileage Bank members will earn and redeem JMB miles on Hawaiian’s neighbor island and international network. Until now, JAL Mileage Bank and HawaiianMiles members have earned miles on codeshare flights only.
In June, Hawaiian and JAL filed an application with the US Department of Transportation and Japan’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism seeking immunity from antitrust laws to create a joint venture. While we’re waiting for that to clear, mileage aficionados will no doubt appreciate the olive branch in the interim.
Even if you don’t routinely fly these carriers, the news has positive implications for those looking to book aspirational travel — particularly within Japan Airlines’ route network. Though neither company offers co-branded credit cards with lucrative sign-up bonuses, you can transfer Amex Membership Rewards points to your Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles account instantly at a 1:1 ratio. Up until October 1, 2018, that’s only useful for booking awards within Hawaiian’s network. After that date, however, you’ll be able to book Japan Airlines award tickets using those same HawaiianMiles.
Securing an award ticket within JAL’s network has not been simple, historically speaking, and there’s no promise that will change based on this deal. Still, it’s possible that new sweet spot redemptions will emerge now that it’s essentially possible to transfer Amex MR points to Japan Airlines by way of HawaiianMiles.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees