A Hawaiian Island Disappeared Underwater After Hurricane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Hawaiian island vanished underwater earlier this month after Hurricane Walaka created a massive storm surge that swallowed the 11-acre sliver of land.
University of Hawaii climate scientist Chip Fletcher told told Honolulu Civil Beat he had “a holy s–t moment” when he realized the island had disappeared.
East Island, which belonged to the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument, was home to many species of endangered animals, including endangered Hawaiian monk seals and sea turtles. In fact, more than half of the threatened green sea turtles that nest in this atoll did so on East Island.
Charles Littnan, a conservation biologist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) told the Honolulu Civil Beat “there’s no doubt” that East Island “was the most important single islet for sea turtle nesting.”
And according the video below, “experts are uncertain whether the island will return.”
Whale Skate Island, another former French Frigate Shoal islet, was completely submerged in a similar fashion back in the 1990s after decades of erosion. It has not returned.
The Category 5 storm, which had sustained winds of 160 miles per hour, is considered “one of the most intense hurricanes on record” to pummel the Pacific. At this time, there’s no word on what the outcome is for the animals who have been evicted from this crucial habitat. Fortunately, Littnan explained, Walaka struck at the tail end of breeding season, with just one monk seal and her pup and a small percent of turtle nests remaining on East Island.
As destructive as nature can be, a new islet recently emerged off the Big Island’s northern edge as a result of the eruption of Kilauea. Field crew from the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory discovered the miniature speck of land during a morning flyover, and reported that the island is only about 20 to 30 feet in diameter — so don’t expect to be booking a Hawaiian vacation there any time soon.
Featured photo courtesy of the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees