Hawaiian Airlines Flight to Sydney Turns Around Due to Technical Issue
A Hawaiian Airlines flight Sydney, Australia (SYD), returned to its airport of origin, Honolulu (HNL), after takeoff due to a suspected mechanical problem on Sunday.
About an hour into the normally 10-hour flight, the Airbus A330 turned around because there was a possible problem with one of the aircraft’s three hydraulic systems, an airline spokeswoman told the AP. Hydraulic systems help control systems on the aircraft, like the landing gear and flaps.
The airline said there was no emergency on board and the plane landed safely back in Honolulu. Hawaiian’s spokesperson told the AP that the flight’s 201 passengers are being re-accommodated on the carrier’s “first available aircraft.”
Featured image by FG/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.