This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you are dreaming of a Hawaiian paradise, you are in luck as you can book tickets to Hawaii right now from about $390 round trip or 25,000 points, depending on your city and desired island destination. Act quickly because these Hawaii fare wars rarely last long…
There is no place like Hawaii, and right now you can get there for some seriously low prices from cities all over the country! There are currently round trip prices available for under $400 round trip, which is very solid for Hawaii. To give one of many examples, you can fly from Houston or Newark to Maui on a regular economy United ticket for $393 round trip. It is very rare that these extra low Hawaii prices are valid from airline hub cities on their own hub airline, so that is a noteworthy deal.
If you wanted to use points instead of cash, in this case, you could use 26,253 Ultimate Reward points from your Sapphire Reserve to book the ticket via Chase and keep the cash in your pocket! To give some perspective, if you tried to book this ticket to Hawaii by transferring your points to United to book as an economy saver award, it would cost 45,000 miles, assuming you could find saver award availability. Learn more.
American Airlines is also offering low fares to the various Hawaiian Islands from around $400 – $450 via Delta hubs such as Atlanta, Salt Lake City, and Detroit, and United’s Denver hub. Delta is offering flights from around $450 round trip from Phoenix. I’m sure there are other lower than normal offerings out there I haven’t spotted yet, but it is safe to say this is a real Hawaii fare war.
I recommend using Google Flights flexible dates to quickly spot the cheapest dates to fly and then book immediately if you see something you like. These Hawaii fare wars rarely last more than a day or so before prices return to normal. In general, these low prices are available in Fall 2018, but I did see some availability stretching into February 2019.
Were you able to snag a $400 round trip ticket to paradise using your cash or points?
This is one of the top premium cards out there since you earn 3x on all travel (excluding $300 travel credit) and dining and have access to great perks like a $300 travel credit each cardmember year, 50% more value when you redeem points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards and you get elite travel benefits like Global Entry application fee rebate, Priority Pass Select and special rental car privileges.
- Earn 50K bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- Named a ‘Best Travel Credit Card for 2017’ by MONEY® Magazine
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®