Harrah’s becomes first casino to require vaccines; Could Vegas be next?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Harrah’s New Orleans Hotel & Casino has become the first casino in the United States to require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to enter.
The news was first reported by CDC Gaming Reports.The casino is owned and operated by Caesars Entertainment.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
It comes as New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell announced a new vaccine requirement for many indoor activities starting Aug. 16 that includes indoor dining and bars and other indoor entertainment. You will need to provide proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test if you are 12 or older for any activities the city deems as having a “high transmission risk.”
The mandate also covers racetracks and other venues with slot machines.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal has reported some casinos in Nevada are also considering vaccine mandates and that the MGM is already requiring workers who refuse to get vaccinated to pay for their own COVID-19 testing.
Already some events in Vegas require vaccination or proof of negative test results for COVID-19. Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak said this week he didn’t want to have to impose more mandates, but left the door open if vaccination rates don’t improve and the delta variant continues to spread.
Featured image of Las Vegas by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
This card offers a 80,000-point bonus after spending $4,000 in the first three months. Plus, earn 3 ThankYou points per $1 at gas stations, restaurants, supermarkets and on air travel and hotels. 1 ThankYou point per $1 on all other purchases.
- For a limited time, earn 80,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 3 Points per $1 spent at Restaurants and Supermarkets
- Earn 3 Points per $1 spent at Gas Stations, Air Travel and Hotels
- Earn 1 Point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Annual Hotel Savings Benefit
- 80,000 Points are redeemable for $800 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases