This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas, which was sold in February 2018, has made the decision to close its door completely during a full-scale renovation. Originally reported by KTNV and the Las Vegas Review-Journal, the decision comes as the hotel undergoes a complete rebrand. The property, purchased by Virgin Hotels, was originally slated to phase in an 8-month renovation, half of which would occur while the hotel remained open for business.
As reported by KTNV, Hard Rock/Virgin Hotels ownership partner and CEO Richard “Boz” Bosworth stated, “We determined that a phased closing of four months, followed by a total closure of four months was not efficient from a construction process nor could we provide a hospitality service experience our guests deserve. Therefore an approximate eight-month closure would be most efficient and ensure a timely opening prior to January 2021.”
The hotel is due to close in February 2020, just after the Super Bowl, though Bosworth called the opening date a “moving target,” noting that the property could be open for business again as early as October 2020.
Interestingly, Virgin Hotels is attempting to keep as many of the Hard Rock’s 1,500+ employees around as possible, offering a benefits package, titled the “Stick Around And Come Back” program, to those still employed when the hotel closes. It will grant up to ten weeks of pay at closure and guarantee jobs when the hotel reopens, as reported by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
If you’ve been wanting to stay at this iconic hotel, featuring its signature massive guitar, do so now before the property closes and we say goodbye to the Hard Rock for good.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees