Hanover Airport Closes After Man Takes Drug-Fueled Drive on Tarmac
Authorities closed Hanover Airport (HAJ) in northern Germany on Saturday around 3:30pm local time after a man drove a silver BMW with Polish license plates through a passageway and onto the tarmac. The car then began following an Aegean Airlines flight that had just landed.
The action prompted an immediate response by federal police, including the deployment of an explosives team. Arrivals and departures were cancelled as a precaution at the time with concerns the incident could be terrorist related. Security in Germany was already on high alert for the holiday travel season after reports of possible extremist surveilling German airports surfaced.
The man was eventually detained by local police. He later tested positive for cocaine and amphetamines. A search of the car didn’t turn up anything dangerous, other than its driver.
Normal flight operations resumed some five hours after the initial incursion onto the tarmac.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.