Hangar Collapses at Houston Airport Due to Intense Winds
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Intense winds swept through Houston Tuesday night causing a hangar at Hobby Airport (HOU) to collapse and blow onto nearby planes. Wind speed was measured at more than 60mph, said KPRC 2 Houston.
The hangar that collapsed was a private hangar currently leased by Jet Linx. The National Weather Service confirmed that the wind responsible for the damage was a microburst — which can easily reach speeds between 70 and 100mph. NWS meteorologist, Dan Reilly, said that a microburst is “air that descends, hits the ground and spreads out. It’s just as damaging as a tornado.”
— KPRC 2 Houston (@KPRC2) April 4, 2018
The damage only haltered operations at one runway, although debris was found as far as 200 yards from where the hangar collapsed.
“It’s a big concern. It’s something that we are diligent in something we address,” Bill Begley, spokesman for Hobby Airport, told KPRC 2 Houston. Hobby officials said that a fence will be erected around the runway to prevent additional debris from interfering with anymore flights.
The wind affected much of Southeast Houston; no injuries have been reported.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees