Hangar Collapses at Houston Airport Due to Intense Winds
Intense winds swept through Houston Tuesday night causing a hangar at Hobby Airport (HOU) to collapse and blow onto nearby planes. Wind speed was measured at more than 60mph, said KPRC 2 Houston.
The hangar that collapsed was a private hangar currently leased by Jet Linx. The National Weather Service confirmed that the wind responsible for the damage was a microburst — which can easily reach speeds between 70 and 100mph. NWS meteorologist, Dan Reilly, said that a microburst is “air that descends, hits the ground and spreads out. It’s just as damaging as a tornado.”
— KPRC 2 Houston (@KPRC2) April 4, 2018
The damage only haltered operations at one runway, although debris was found as far as 200 yards from where the hangar collapsed.
“It’s a big concern. It’s something that we are diligent in something we address,” Bill Begley, spokesman for Hobby Airport, told KPRC 2 Houston. Hobby officials said that a fence will be erected around the runway to prevent additional debris from interfering with anymore flights.
The wind affected much of Southeast Houston; no injuries have been reported.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.