This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Guy Fieri is entering new horizons … literally. The Food Network TV star recently launched his Pig & Anchor Smokehouse | Brewhouse on board Carnival’s new ship, the 3,960-passenger Carnival Horizon, which sails from New York this summer before returning to its home port in Miami.
USA Today recently reviewed the Pig & Anchor’s offerings, from the brews to the ‘cues.
Most of Fieri’s barbecue recipes require smoking meat for 10 to 14 hours. In order to meet strict safety rules, the Carnival Horizon uses a pair of smokers that self-contain hickory chips, fire and smoke. The smokers run on both electricity and gas, with special sensors automatically shutting off if a gas leak is detected.
“We have the best smokers at sea,” Chef Soumen Banerjee told USA Today. “With these smokers we’re not at all challenged. We learned a lot of things. He has his specific taste and flavors and our guests cruising with us love those flavors.”
Dinners at the Smokehouse are not included in the price of the cruise, but USA Today reports that guests on board one of the inaugural Mediterranean cruises did not seem to mind paying extra. “You can eat and drink very well, and not spend a bundle,” said USA Today reviewer Fran Golden. And some of Fieri’s “real deal” creations are available for free from time to time during the cruise: Over lunch on embarkation day, and on sea days, chefs man the pair of smokers on the outdoor promenade and serve buffet-style.
Carnival brewmaster Colin Presby worked with Fieri to craft four beers with high-impact flavors that could “stand up to Fieri’s barbecue,” Golden said. The on-tap brews have been named The ParchedPig.
“I was really excited about being able to come up with things from the ground up to go, specifically with barbecue,” Presby told USA TODAY. “In looking at beer pairings, one of the most important things is pairing intensity of flavor. With a menu that is much more on the intense side, I wanted beers that could stand up to that.”
This isn’t Fieri’s first overlap with Carnival. The cruise company already serves more than 5 million of Fieri’s mouth-watering burgers on board its ships each year.
Featured image courtesy of Carnival Cruises.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards