Guy Fieri Wants To Feed You Barbecue … on a Boat
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Guy Fieri is entering new horizons … literally. The Food Network TV star recently launched his Pig & Anchor Smokehouse | Brewhouse on board Carnival’s new ship, the 3,960-passenger Carnival Horizon, which sails from New York this summer before returning to its home port in Miami.
USA Today recently reviewed the Pig & Anchor’s offerings, from the brews to the ‘cues.
Most of Fieri’s barbecue recipes require smoking meat for 10 to 14 hours. In order to meet strict safety rules, the Carnival Horizon uses a pair of smokers that self-contain hickory chips, fire and smoke. The smokers run on both electricity and gas, with special sensors automatically shutting off if a gas leak is detected.
“We have the best smokers at sea,” Chef Soumen Banerjee told USA Today. “With these smokers we’re not at all challenged. We learned a lot of things. He has his specific taste and flavors and our guests cruising with us love those flavors.”
Dinners at the Smokehouse are not included in the price of the cruise, but USA Today reports that guests on board one of the inaugural Mediterranean cruises did not seem to mind paying extra. “You can eat and drink very well, and not spend a bundle,” said USA Today reviewer Fran Golden. And some of Fieri’s “real deal” creations are available for free from time to time during the cruise: Over lunch on embarkation day, and on sea days, chefs man the pair of smokers on the outdoor promenade and serve buffet-style.
Carnival brewmaster Colin Presby worked with Fieri to craft four beers with high-impact flavors that could “stand up to Fieri’s barbecue,” Golden said. The on-tap brews have been named The ParchedPig.
“I was really excited about being able to come up with things from the ground up to go, specifically with barbecue,” Presby told USA TODAY. “In looking at beer pairings, one of the most important things is pairing intensity of flavor. With a menu that is much more on the intense side, I wanted beers that could stand up to that.”
This isn’t Fieri’s first overlap with Carnival. The cruise company already serves more than 5 million of Fieri’s mouth-watering burgers on board its ships each year.
Featured image courtesy of Carnival Cruises.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.