This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Guy Fieri is entering new horizons … literally. The Food Network TV star recently launched his Pig & Anchor Smokehouse | Brewhouse on board Carnival’s new ship, the 3,960-passenger Carnival Horizon, which sails from New York this summer before returning to its home port in Miami.
USA Today recently reviewed the Pig & Anchor’s offerings, from the brews to the ‘cues.
Most of Fieri’s barbecue recipes require smoking meat for 10 to 14 hours. In order to meet strict safety rules, the Carnival Horizon uses a pair of smokers that self-contain hickory chips, fire and smoke. The smokers run on both electricity and gas, with special sensors automatically shutting off if a gas leak is detected.
“We have the best smokers at sea,” Chef Soumen Banerjee told USA Today. “With these smokers we’re not at all challenged. We learned a lot of things. He has his specific taste and flavors and our guests cruising with us love those flavors.”
Dinners at the Smokehouse are not included in the price of the cruise, but USA Today reports that guests on board one of the inaugural Mediterranean cruises did not seem to mind paying extra. “You can eat and drink very well, and not spend a bundle,” said USA Today reviewer Fran Golden. And some of Fieri’s “real deal” creations are available for free from time to time during the cruise: Over lunch on embarkation day, and on sea days, chefs man the pair of smokers on the outdoor promenade and serve buffet-style.
Carnival brewmaster Colin Presby worked with Fieri to craft four beers with high-impact flavors that could “stand up to Fieri’s barbecue,” Golden said. The on-tap brews have been named The ParchedPig.
“I was really excited about being able to come up with things from the ground up to go, specifically with barbecue,” Presby told USA TODAY. “In looking at beer pairings, one of the most important things is pairing intensity of flavor. With a menu that is much more on the intense side, I wanted beers that could stand up to that.”
This isn’t Fieri’s first overlap with Carnival. The cruise company already serves more than 5 million of Fieri’s mouth-watering burgers on board its ships each year.
Featured image courtesy of Carnival Cruises.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees