Gunmen in Cancun Shoot at Beach from Jet Skis
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Gunmen in Cancun, Mexico, shot at a beach vendor from jet skis in the water on Friday. The incident occurred in the middle of the resort city’s main beachfront hotel strip, and is thought to be the city’s first shooting of its kind.
Fortunately, there were no injuries. Authorities recovered four bullets from the scene on the beach, which was then closed off to the public, but they were not able to identify the gunmen or exactly who the target of the shooting might have been.
The shooting is the latest in a string of brutal incidents in Mexico, where violence related to drug cartels is creeping closer to tourist areas that have historically been generally safer than the rest of the country. Cancun has reported a total of 130 murders so far in 2018, with one particularly gruesome stretch earlier in April that saw 14 murders in 36 hours. That 36-hour window was the bloodiest timeframe the city has seen since 2004, according to The New York Post.
Earlier this week, a body of a man who had been shot was found lying face down in the water on a beach in Acapulco. And earlier in March, The US Consular Agency in Playa del Carmen was closed due to an unspecified “security threat” in the resort town. At the same time, the US Embassy in Mexico had issued a security alert, which barred all US government employees from traveling to Playa del Carmen. That alert has since been lifted.
Although the Embassy never said what exactly the threat was, there had been a bombing on a passenger ferry that runs between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel in February, which injured 25 people, including two Americans. Another explosive device on another ferry a week after that. It is still unclear what was behind those bombings.
H/T: The New York Post
Featured image by STR/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.