Someone Tried to Bring a Gun-Shaped Speaker on an Airplane — It Did Not Go Well
You may be familiar with the cult favorite Instagram account, @tsa. Funny and overall fantastic human Bob Burns is the person behind the account, documenting all of the strange, interesting and downright questionable things that flyers try to get past airport security.
Earlier this week, one passenger traveling through the Des Moines airport tried to get a speaker through security — but not just any speaker; a speaker shaped like a copper gun. The @tsa Instagram account throws the flyer a bone, speculating that the traveler must have been confused.
“We think it’s because they didn’t know or didn’t understand the rules,” the caption reads. “Replica firearms are not allowed to be brought onto the cabin of an aircraft with carry-on items. They must be packed in checked baggage.”
If you’re looking to waste a few hours of your day, the @tsa account is a great place to do it. The gun-shaped speaker is only the start: recently, they’ve also featured fake wedding-themed grenades, neon green nunchucks, a crab and a bottle of rice wine with a cobra and scorpion in it.
This speaker in question, in case you’re interested in the specifics, had a built-in FM radio and laser pointer. While the function is innocent, TSA worried that it would cause nervousness around flyers. It’s safe to say that anything resembling a firearm should be left out of a carry-on bag.
Tchotchkes come in all shapes and sizes and the last thing you want is 1) to have to explain an item to TSA officials and 2) have it be confiscated. No one has time for that — especially when you’re trying to catch a flight or maximize your time in a lounge.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.