This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Officials have ordered a ground stop at New Jersey’s Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) after two drones were seen in the area Tuesday night.
According to a senior aviation source, ABC News reports two drones were spotted 3,500 feet above smaller nearby Teterboro Airport (TEB), located in Bergen County, New Jersey, just 19 miles from EWR.
Some flights were reportedly being held at departing airports to slow the amount of planes coming into Newark for the time being. Planes inbound for EWR were held in the air, The New York Times reports, but were allowed to start landing by 5:45pm. But planes departing from other cities were still barred from takeoff.
TPG reached out to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the airport, as well as the Federal Aviation Administration but did not receive an immediate response.
The drone activity in New Jersey comes about a month after drone sightings shutdown London Gatwick Airport (LGW) for 36 hours over the peak holiday travel window, causing about 1,000 flights to be grounded and affecting about 140,000 passengers.
This is a breaking news story. We will update this post as more information becomes available.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees