This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Officials have ordered a ground stop at New Jersey’s Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) after two drones were seen in the area Tuesday night.
According to a senior aviation source, ABC News reports two drones were spotted 3,500 feet above smaller nearby Teterboro Airport (TEB), located in Bergen County, New Jersey, just 19 miles from EWR.
Some flights were reportedly being held at departing airports to slow the amount of planes coming into Newark for the time being. Planes inbound for EWR were held in the air, The New York Times reports, but were allowed to start landing by 5:45pm. But planes departing from other cities were still barred from takeoff.
TPG reached out to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the airport, as well as the Federal Aviation Administration but did not receive an immediate response.
The drone activity in New Jersey comes about a month after drone sightings shutdown London Gatwick Airport (LGW) for 36 hours over the peak holiday travel window, causing about 1,000 flights to be grounded and affecting about 140,000 passengers.
This is a breaking news story. We will update this post as more information becomes available.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees