Here’s One Greek Beach You Won’t Want to Visit for a While
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beaches are for lovers… and not always just for human ones. Thousands upon thousands of tetragnatha extensa spiders have taken over a beach in a Greek town called Aitoliko and have laid filmy connected webs that envelop every square inch of the grassy shoreline.
Local photographer Giannis Giannakopoulos shared photographs of the ghoulish beachfront on his Facebook page.
The spiders are part of a genus known as stretch spiders, with elongated bodies and long legs, which allow them to scurry across the surface of water more quickly than they run on land. However, the spiders are harmless to humans beyond shock factor, according to molecular biologist Maria Chatzaki, who told Greek news sites that “these spiders are not dangerous for humans, and will not cause any damage.”
Aitoliko, about 186 miles from Athens, is located on an island connected to the mainland by two bridges, and Chatzaki said that a boom in mosquitoes in the region created the perfect environment for the leggy arachnids.
“The spiders are taking advantage of these conditions, and are having a kind of a party,” Chatzaki said. “They mate, they reproduce and provide a whole new generation.”
Aitoliko last saw a similar phenomenon in 2003, and Chatzaki said the spiders die off after mating, and their webs naturally disintegrate in a few short weeks, leaving the beach as pristine as before.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees