Here’s One Greek Beach You Won’t Want to Visit for a While
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beaches are for lovers… and not always just for human ones. Thousands upon thousands of tetragnatha extensa spiders have taken over a beach in a Greek town called Aitoliko and have laid filmy connected webs that envelop every square inch of the grassy shoreline.
Local photographer Giannis Giannakopoulos shared photographs of the ghoulish beachfront on his Facebook page.
The spiders are part of a genus known as stretch spiders, with elongated bodies and long legs, which allow them to scurry across the surface of water more quickly than they run on land. However, the spiders are harmless to humans beyond shock factor, according to molecular biologist Maria Chatzaki, who told Greek news sites that “these spiders are not dangerous for humans, and will not cause any damage.”
Aitoliko, about 186 miles from Athens, is located on an island connected to the mainland by two bridges, and Chatzaki said that a boom in mosquitoes in the region created the perfect environment for the leggy arachnids.
“The spiders are taking advantage of these conditions, and are having a kind of a party,” Chatzaki said. “They mate, they reproduce and provide a whole new generation.”
Aitoliko last saw a similar phenomenon in 2003, and Chatzaki said the spiders die off after mating, and their webs naturally disintegrate in a few short weeks, leaving the beach as pristine as before.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.