Flybe saved by U.K. government, flights continue as scheduled
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday night, the uncertainty about the future of Flybe was cleared up by way of a bailout from the U.K. government. The airline narrowly avoid being the second U.K. carrier to go bust within only a few months. Flybe is Europe’s largest regional carrier, operating an extensive route network within the U.K. and to destinations across Europe.
Ministers have agreed to a rescue deal with the airline, but the details of such have yet to be confirmed. The ongoing negotiations consist of the possibility of a loan of around £100 million from the U.K. government.
The airline announced the news in a tweet on Tuesday night.
While the decision to save the airline has ultimately saved thousands of jobs and safeguarded regional connections across Europe, there has been significant backlash from Ryanair, EasyJet and airline group IAG — the parent company of British Airways — regarding the use of taxpayer money. Chief Executive of IAG Willie Walsh reportedly accused Virgin Atlantic, which recently acquired Flybe, of “wanting the taxpayer to pick up the tab for their mismanagement of the airline”.
Related reading: A review of Flybe’s Dash 8 from Heathrow to Aberdeen
The loan could come under further scrutiny by the EU commission for breaching state aid. In a similar case, however, loans were approved by the German government to save Condor in light of the failure of its parent company, Thomas Cook Group.
Mark Anderson, Flybe CEO, said in statement, “Flybe is made up of an incredible team of people, serving millions of loyal customers who rely on the vital regional connectivity that we provide. This is a positive outcome for the UK and will allow us to focus on delivering for our customers and planning for the future.”
Featured image by Sopa Images/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees