Google Will Finish Planning Your Next Trip
We know – you’ve good intentions. You catch a whiff of inspiration, fire up your favorite search engine, and start planning what will undoubtedly be the trip of a lifetime. Then, someone calls. Or, your kid discovers some strange residue that demands your immediate attention. In any case, your epic trip planning process gets sidetracked, and it’s a coin-flip whether or not you’re able to pick back up where you left off.
Google knows that pain, and it’s hoping to provide much-needed relief with a new update planned for October. The “Your Trips” update will “make it easier to organize travel plans still in the works, and resume planning where you last left off.” Here’s a direct example from Google.
If you’ve recently started looking at traveling to Milan, we’ll show you potential trip information in Your Trips like flight prices you’re tracking (if you have any), destination-specific flight and hotel searches, and places you’ve saved. That way, you can easily pick up your travel research when you come back to Google. To see Your Trips, search for “my trips” on Google, or tap on the Your Trips tab from Google Flights or Hotels on your phone.
Additionally, Google Flights is having its intelligence boosted in the coming weeks, enabling searchers to see whether or not a flight price is higher or lower than usual for key holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s).
Finally, Google will soon assign a “hotel location score,” which summarizes the hotel’s neighborhood based on information from Google Maps. For example, you’ll see if a specific hotel is near boutique shops to fill your fashion fix or within walking distance from the Milan Duomo. You’ll also get information on getting to and from airports.
The Google Trips app (free to download on iOS and Android) is already a powerful tool for compiling bookings from various sources, even going so far as to provide suggestions on sights to see, eateries to patronize and places to go.
Featured image of Easter Island moai by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.