Good Samaritan Plane Passengers Give Teacher $530 for Students
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s not everyday that people feel charitable while sitting within the close confines of an airplane, but when a Chicago school teacher told a fellow passenger about her students’ low incomes on Southwest Flight 1050, she moved her seat-mate and others on the plane. The woman deplaned with more than $500 in cash and in awe of what it could do for her students.
The school teacher, Kimberly Bermudez, posted about the experience on Facebook, explaining that the conversation all began when the man sitting next to her asked her about her job. “I began telling him how much I love my job,” she wrote. “Teaching is my passion.”
That’s when the man asked about her greatest challenge as a teacher, to which she responded that it is difficult to work at a low-income school.
“In 2018 kids should never be hungry or in need of anything,” wrote Bermudez, retelling the conversation she had with the man.
After hearing about Bermudez’s low-income students, the man asked for her contact information in hopes of contributing to a solution through his work, which donates time and money to schools like Bermudez’s.
That’s when a man in the seat behind her tapped her shoulder, apologized for listening in, and handed her what she later found to be $500. “Do something amazing,” he said. Upon deplaning, two other passengers handed her cash for the students as well, one giving a $20 bill and another handing over a $10 – that’s $530 altogether.
Bermudez said that she “never to never intended to walk out of that flight with anything other than [her] carry on.” However, she was not casual about mentioning her gratitude for those who gave.
“I would do anything for my students, and want to thank these strangers,” Bermudez wrote. “I don’t know the name of the man who gave me the $500 or the other generous strangers, but they deserve to be recognized.”
Feature image by @shanti via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees