Olympic Stars and Hollywood Celebs Talk Points & Miles at TPG Golden Globes Charity Event
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It was all about going for the gold at Saturday’s “Gold Meets Golden” charity event, sponsored by TPG. The event, which takes place each year ahead of the annual Golden Globe Awards, connects “the worlds of Hollywood and sport” in the name of raising money for Angel City Sports, the leading the Paralympic movement in Southern California creating sports opportunities for anyone with a physical disability, and TPG was there to work the red carpet to find out some of our favorite stars’ best travel advice.
The star-studded event brings together “Hollywood entertainers, professional athletes, medal-winning Olympians and enthusiastic partners to generate awareness and support for sports-related causes.” We’re talking Amy Adams, Mark Ronson, Jessica Chastain, Octavia Spencer, Nadia Comaneci, Adam Rippon (Oh, and you know, the one and only Nicole Kidman. NBD.)
For TPG, sponsoring the event was a “no brainer.” “Even though it’s about entertainment and sports, travel is what connects them,” says Kelly. Not to mention the donation TPG will be making to the Angel City Sports foundation. “We’re all about giving at The Points Guy,” adds Kelly. “It’s cool to be part of such an uplifting event.”
Below are just a few of the many highlights from the red carpet.
Michelle Kwan, Two-Time Olympic Medalist in Figure Skating
“Over the years, if I had been smarter with my points . . . then I would have been able to save up points that I could take my family on vacation,” says Kwan. Watch the clip below to find out her most frightening plane experience ever, which involved sitting next to actress Diane Lane.
Nastia Liukin, Five-Time Olympic Medalist in Gymnastics
“I’m definitely a points person. Amex, that’s my thing,” says Liukin. While the Beijing Olympics will always have a special place in the athlete’s heart, find out why she’s even more excited for the 2028 Summer Games in LA.
Missy Franklin, Five-Time Olympic Medalist in Swimming
“Oh my gosh, I’m absolutely a points person. There’s no reason not to be a points person!” says Franklin. Find out which team Franklin is on when it comes to airline loyalty, her favorite city to visit, and the one country she wishes the olympics would return to.
David Boudia, Four-Time Olympic Medalist in Diving
“I actually started credit card churning when I was 24, maybe?” says Boudia, who says he learned all he knows from none other than TPG‘s own YouTube videos. Plus, find out this athlete’s secret for fighting jet lag before he even gets on the plane.
Billy Porter, Actor and Golden Globe nominee for the FX drama “Pose”
We’ll let Porter tell you for himself about his near-death experience taking off on the runway in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
Patricia Clarkson, Actress and Golden Globe nominee for HBO’s “Sharp Objects”
Clarkson, who is constantly in the air, is all about a good lounge experience (a woman after our own hearts). Here’s how she stays at the top of her game 35,000 feet in the air.
Feature image by Joe Scarnici/Getty Images for Gold Meets Golden.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees