Olympic Stars and Hollywood Celebs Talk Points & Miles at TPG Golden Globes Charity Event
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It was all about going for the gold at Saturday’s “Gold Meets Golden” charity event, sponsored by TPG. The event, which takes place each year ahead of the annual Golden Globe Awards, connects “the worlds of Hollywood and sport” in the name of raising money for Angel City Sports, the leading the Paralympic movement in Southern California creating sports opportunities for anyone with a physical disability, and TPG was there to work the red carpet to find out some of our favorite stars’ best travel advice.
The star-studded event brings together “Hollywood entertainers, professional athletes, medal-winning Olympians and enthusiastic partners to generate awareness and support for sports-related causes.” We’re talking Amy Adams, Mark Ronson, Jessica Chastain, Octavia Spencer, Nadia Comaneci, Adam Rippon (Oh, and you know, the one and only Nicole Kidman. NBD.)
For TPG, sponsoring the event was a “no brainer.” “Even though it’s about entertainment and sports, travel is what connects them,” says Kelly. Not to mention the donation TPG will be making to the Angel City Sports foundation. “We’re all about giving at The Points Guy,” adds Kelly. “It’s cool to be part of such an uplifting event.”
Below are just a few of the many highlights from the red carpet.
Michelle Kwan, Two-Time Olympic Medalist in Figure Skating
“Over the years, if I had been smarter with my points . . . then I would have been able to save up points that I could take my family on vacation,” says Kwan. Watch the clip below to find out her most frightening plane experience ever, which involved sitting next to actress Diane Lane.
Nastia Liukin, Five-Time Olympic Medalist in Gymnastics
“I’m definitely a points person. Amex, that’s my thing,” says Liukin. While the Beijing Olympics will always have a special place in the athlete’s heart, find out why she’s even more excited for the 2028 Summer Games in LA.
Missy Franklin, Five-Time Olympic Medalist in Swimming
“Oh my gosh, I’m absolutely a points person. There’s no reason not to be a points person!” says Franklin. Find out which team Franklin is on when it comes to airline loyalty, her favorite city to visit, and the one country she wishes the olympics would return to.
David Boudia, Four-Time Olympic Medalist in Diving
“I actually started credit card churning when I was 24, maybe?” says Boudia, who says he learned all he knows from none other than TPG‘s own YouTube videos. Plus, find out this athlete’s secret for fighting jet lag before he even gets on the plane.
Billy Porter, Actor and Golden Globe nominee for the FX drama “Pose”
We’ll let Porter tell you for himself about his near-death experience taking off on the runway in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
Patricia Clarkson, Actress and Golden Globe nominee for HBO’s “Sharp Objects”
Clarkson, who is constantly in the air, is all about a good lounge experience (a woman after our own hearts). Here’s how she stays at the top of her game 35,000 feet in the air.
Feature image by Joe Scarnici/Getty Images for Gold Meets Golden.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.