15-Year-Old Girl With Allergy Dies After Eating Airport Baguette
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 15-year-old girl collapsed on a flight from London Heathrow (LHR) to Nice, France (NCE), and later died after she ate a baguette from a Pret-a-Manger cafe at LHR and had an allergic reaction.
A lawsuit on the matter will begin in West London Coroner’s Court on Monday.
Natasha Ednan-Laperouse collapsed on her British Airways flight on July 17, 2016, after eating an artichoke, olive and tapenade baguette from the grab-and-go restaurant in Heathrow’s Terminal 5. The sandwich contained sesame seeds but did not indicate that on the packaging.
Her father administered two EpiPen injections, but Ednan-Laperouse still died just hours after the onset of her allergic reaction. She was later pronounced dead at a hospital in Nice.
“It’s a daily battle and the pain is indescribable,” Nadim Ednan-Laperouse, the girl’s father, said in a statement.
Allergic reactions happen somewhat often on aircraft — although generally they are caused by peanuts served on board flights — and are frequently resolved by administering an EpiPen. Earlier this year, a child had a severe reaction to the nuts on a Southwest flight, and his parents had to inject him with an EpiPen. He survived, and the airline has since nixed peanuts from its in-flight snack offerings.
Pret told the BBC that its products are not individually labelled with ingredients or allergen information, but rather signs in their stores tell customers to ask a manager who can advise them of allergens or to consult its allergen guides in its stores or online.
“We were deeply saddened to hear about Natasha’s tragic death, and our heartfelt thoughts are with her family and friends,” Pret told the BBC in a statement. “We take food allergies and how allergen information is provided to our customers extremely seriously. We will continue to do all that we can to assist the coroner’s inquest.”
Featured image via EDNAN-LAPEROUSE FAMILY HANDOUT.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees