Mother and Son Stranded After Their Giant Swan Float Drifted From Shore
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, we have officially reached peak 2018.
Reports are surfacing about a mother and her 7-year-old son who, on Oct. 21, were stranded in the Gulf of Mexico. How, you ask? They were lounging on a giant, inflatable swan — yes, like the ones you see at celebrity pool parties all over Instagram — and it floated miles away from land.
Tara Myers and her son, Brennan, were enjoying a clear day on Anna Maria Island in Florida when the winds picked up and the current carried the swan raft away from shore.
“I was not sure if we were going to keep drifting because land just kept getting farther and farther and farther away,” she told WFLA, a local Tampa news station. She tried kicking her feet in an attempt to get back to the beach, but to no avail.
“I was just exhausted, and we were not going anywhere. Like, I was doing that for an inch,” she said.
After about an hour, they were rescued by West Manatee Fire Rescue. Beachgoers had watched the giant swan float drift toward the horizon and, luckily for Myers and her son, called 911 to get help.
Myers — fatigued, relieved — “laid down on that swan float and cried.”
“This could have ended so much worse,” Myers told reporters.
Fortunately, this oversized vinyl fowl will never put anyone else in jeopardy ever again. After being delivered back to the beach, her son used his shark tooth necklace to puncture a hole in the inflatable waterbird. A firefighter slung the deflated raft over his shoulder and tossed it in a dumpster.
No doubt this was a scary situation for the two, and thankfully both are home safe and sound. But let us all consider this as an important lesson to think twice about taking a giant raft into the open ocean — especially one that is essentially a decorative pool toy.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees