Mother and Son Stranded After Their Giant Swan Float Drifted From Shore
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, we have officially reached peak 2018.
Reports are surfacing about a mother and her 7-year-old son who, on Oct. 21, were stranded in the Gulf of Mexico. How, you ask? They were lounging on a giant, inflatable swan — yes, like the ones you see at celebrity pool parties all over Instagram — and it floated miles away from land.
Tara Myers and her son, Brennan, were enjoying a clear day on Anna Maria Island in Florida when the winds picked up and the current carried the swan raft away from shore.
“I was not sure if we were going to keep drifting because land just kept getting farther and farther and farther away,” she told WFLA, a local Tampa news station. She tried kicking her feet in an attempt to get back to the beach, but to no avail.
“I was just exhausted, and we were not going anywhere. Like, I was doing that for an inch,” she said.
After about an hour, they were rescued by West Manatee Fire Rescue. Beachgoers had watched the giant swan float drift toward the horizon and, luckily for Myers and her son, called 911 to get help.
Myers — fatigued, relieved — “laid down on that swan float and cried.”
“This could have ended so much worse,” Myers told reporters.
Fortunately, this oversized vinyl fowl will never put anyone else in jeopardy ever again. After being delivered back to the beach, her son used his shark tooth necklace to puncture a hole in the inflatable waterbird. A firefighter slung the deflated raft over his shoulder and tossed it in a dumpster.
No doubt this was a scary situation for the two, and thankfully both are home safe and sound. But let us all consider this as an important lesson to think twice about taking a giant raft into the open ocean — especially one that is essentially a decorative pool toy.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.