This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s here! Cathay Pacific’s long-awaited inaugural flight between Washington (IAD) and Hong Kong (HKG) departs on September 16, and to drum up interest for what will become the carrier’s longest nonstop route, it’s offering up to $250 off a round-trip ticket by booking directly and applying promo code DULLES. (And, for those interested in visiting other cities throughout Asia, you’ll be pleased to know that the discount also applies to flights between Washington and Bali, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, and Manila.)
The IAD-HKG route will be flown on Cathay’s new Airbus A350-1000, which is configured to seat 46 passengers in business in a 1-2-1 configuration, 32 premium economy seats in a 2-4-2 configuration and 256 in economy in a 3-3-3 layout. The aircraft will seat a total of 334 passengers, a 54-person jump from the 280 that the -900 can seat.
The discount breaks down as such: You’ll get $250 off round-trip in business, $100 off round-trip in premium economy or $50 off round-trip in economy. In order to get the discount, outbound departure must occur between September 16, 2018, and December 31, 2018. You must book directly with Cathay and enter the promo code DULLES. Bookings must be made before October 31, 2018, and the offer is only valid on itineraries with all Cathay Pacific (CX)-operated flights.
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees