This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s here! Cathay Pacific’s long-awaited inaugural flight between Washington (IAD) and Hong Kong (HKG) departs on September 16, and to drum up interest for what will become the carrier’s longest nonstop route, it’s offering up to $250 off a round-trip ticket by booking directly and applying promo code DULLES. (And, for those interested in visiting other cities throughout Asia, you’ll be pleased to know that the discount also applies to flights between Washington and Bali, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, and Manila.)
The IAD-HKG route will be flown on Cathay’s new Airbus A350-1000, which is configured to seat 46 passengers in business in a 1-2-1 configuration, 32 premium economy seats in a 2-4-2 configuration and 256 in economy in a 3-3-3 layout. The aircraft will seat a total of 334 passengers, a 54-person jump from the 280 that the -900 can seat.
The discount breaks down as such: You’ll get $250 off round-trip in business, $100 off round-trip in premium economy or $50 off round-trip in economy. In order to get the discount, outbound departure must occur between September 16, 2018, and December 31, 2018. You must book directly with Cathay and enter the promo code DULLES. Bookings must be made before October 31, 2018, and the offer is only valid on itineraries with all Cathay Pacific (CX)-operated flights.
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards