This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s here! Cathay Pacific’s long-awaited inaugural flight between Washington (IAD) and Hong Kong (HKG) departs on September 16, and to drum up interest for what will become the carrier’s longest nonstop route, it’s offering up to $250 off a round-trip ticket by booking directly and applying promo code DULLES. (And, for those interested in visiting other cities throughout Asia, you’ll be pleased to know that the discount also applies to flights between Washington and Bali, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, and Manila.)
The IAD-HKG route will be flown on Cathay’s new Airbus A350-1000, which is configured to seat 46 passengers in business in a 1-2-1 configuration, 32 premium economy seats in a 2-4-2 configuration and 256 in economy in a 3-3-3 layout. The aircraft will seat a total of 334 passengers, a 54-person jump from the 280 that the -900 can seat.
The discount breaks down as such: You’ll get $250 off round-trip in business, $100 off round-trip in premium economy or $50 off round-trip in economy. In order to get the discount, outbound departure must occur between September 16, 2018, and December 31, 2018. You must book directly with Cathay and enter the promo code DULLES. Bookings must be made before October 31, 2018, and the offer is only valid on itineraries with all Cathay Pacific (CX)-operated flights.
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi ThankYou Premier, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees